Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-31-2022, 11:11 AM   #1
sgmoore
Connoisseur
sgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kindle Voyage
Saving /etc/sysconfig/iptables - Read-only

I have a jail-broken Kindle Voyage and when I try to save /etc/sysconfig/iptables I get a message telling me that it is a Read-only file system.

I am sshing into the kindle and then issuing the command mntroot rw which means I am able to write to the /mnt/us folder , but still can not write to the /etc/sysconfig folder.

How do I do this?
sgmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 01:19 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
mntroot rw has nothing to do with writing to /mnt/us

If you can not write to /etc/ after running mntroot rw then it is likely that the command failed because the emmc (flash memory) is failing and can only be mounted readonly.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2022, 04:18 PM   #3
sgmoore
Connoisseur
sgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfolded

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
... then it is likely that the command failed because the emmc (flash memory) is failing and can only be mounted readonly.
Any way I can tell if that is the cause? (I don't get any errors when running mntroot rw.)

If it is failing, does that mean my whole device is likely to stop working soon, or is it possible to keep working in readonly mode for some time?

And why can I write to /mnt/us? I thought they were just different partitions on the same 'disk' ?

(Sorry for all the questions!)
Old 08-31-2022, 04:54 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
/mnt/us is complicated. In mass storage mode it is exported as a FAT format partition. In that mode, I don't think it can be written from a terminal or ssh over wifi. I don't have a terminal installed or use wifi so I don't know. I always have USB networking on and /mnt/us is writable without using mntroot rw.

It is true that all the flash memory is on one chip.

Adding, deleting, opening, paging, and closing books modifies the database /var/local/cc.db and if such changes don't persist across a restart that is an indication the flash memory is wearing out. (New books don't show up, deleted books don't go away.)

After mntroot rw can you do something like
touch /etc/my-test-file
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 10:17 AM   #5
sgmoore
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post

After mntroot rw can you do something like
touch /etc/my-test-file
Weird.
I was able to do this and also running cat /etc/mtab | awk '/\/dev\/root \/ / { print $4 }' said that it was rw and then when I re-tried it a few minutes later it said it was ro!

So I was able to update /etc/sysconfig/iptables by first creating the new file in /mnt/us (no problems doing this via ssh over wifi) and then running mntroot rw and then copying the new iptables file from /mnt/us to /etc/sysconfig/iptables before the system switch back to read only again.
Advert
Old 09-01-2022, 10:30 AM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Check dmesg, it'll log I/O errors, and if the kernel actually decided to remount a fs ro because of said IO errors.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 04:06 PM   #7
sgmoore
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Check dmesg, it'll log I/O errors, and if the kernel actually decided to remount a fs ro because of said IO errors.
No errors!

When I issue the mntroot rw command I get a line added

EXT3-fs (mmcblk0p1): using internal journal

but I don't get anything added when it becomes read-only.

Tags
iptables jailbreak