Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-19-2021, 06:50 PM   #1
toomuchreading
Groupie
toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
When Running Can't tell Calibre from Calibre Portable

I'm hoping someone can help me.
I recently started using Calibre Portable,but I still have Calibre64 version on my computer and both are up to date versions.

Is there a way to tell which version of Calibre I've got up and running. I point to the same library when running Portable, and have the settings the same for both versions, so I can't tell which version of Calibre I'm running. I've got a bad memory, so I forget which version I started up. Is there a way to tell which Calibre I've got running?
toomuchreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:32 PM   #2
capink
Wizard
capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't know if there is way to differentiate between them. Until someone comes with a better answer you can do the following:

Since Calibre shows the version in the status bar at the left bottom corner; you can run different versions, say odd version numbers for portable and even version numbers are for regular install.
capink is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2021, 07:37 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchreading View Post
I'm hoping someone can help me.
I recently started using Calibre Portable,but I still have Calibre64 version on my computer and both are up to date versions.

Is there a way to tell which version of Calibre I've got up and running. I point to the same library when running Portable, and have the settings the same for both versions, so I can't tell which version of Calibre I'm running. I've got a bad memory, so I forget which version I started up. Is there a way to tell which Calibre I've got running?
Easy really. Just make sure you have different versions and you;ll be able to tell by what version you are running.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:38 PM   #4
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
My suggestion, if you don't want to run a different version, is to add an extra toolbar icon to Portable that you wouldn't use on your standard one.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:59 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
At the worst, you can use the Task Manager to see the path of the command that started calibre. But, as I do run various versions for testing plugins, if I forget which I am using, or whether I restarted it to pick up a code change, I just close it and open it again. It doesn't take long enough to be a real nuisance.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2021, 08:53 PM   #6
toomuchreading
Groupie
toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Enhancement Request

Thanks for the responses everyone. It doesn't look like this is straight forward without a workaround.

Could I suggest then maybe a future enhancement, where the version number is displayed in the bottom left hand corner, instead of "Calibre 5.16", might the display change to read something like "Calibre64 5.16", "Calibre32 5.16" "Calibre Portable 5.16", or whichever version for Mac, and Unix too, so in essence you have which Calibre is running and which version is running. It's the perfect spot for this information. This would also help for those requesting support to be able to tell which Calibre they are running at a glance instead of having to guess.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:08 PM   #7
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's a bit of precedent for this, as running from source has it listed in the status as Calibre 5.xx* and 64-bit status is already listed. I'd suggest file a ticket here.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 04-19-2021 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:00 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It shouldnt matter the only significant functional difference between calibre portable and normal calibre is that portable doesnt remember libraries located outside the portable folder.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:50 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Just change the appearance.

My Portable Version Look and Feel is the factory settings

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-04-20 154102.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	391.1 KB
ID:	186700

My 64 bit Installed Look and Feel has lots of adjustments

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-04-20 154249.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	382.8 KB
ID:	186701

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:54 AM   #10
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Just change the appearance.
Yes, that's why I suggested adding an extra toolbar button.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:13 PM   #11
toomuchreading
Groupie

Thank you Kovid!
Quote:
Fixed in branch master. The fix will be in the next release. calibre is
usually released every alternate Friday.

status fixreleased
Thank you again! You have no idea how wonderful a product you have. Other than my browser, this is THE MOST used software on my computer. I read a lot, and this just makes my life much easier.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:49 PM   #12
toomuchreading
Groupie

Kovid, will this show up in 5.17 or should it have been in 5.16.1? I did upgrade my portable version from the calibre download website with the last update & it's still saying 'calibre 5.16.1 created by Kovid Goyal' without any indication that itis the portable version in either the version line, or the program title bar.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:33 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It'll be in 5.17 ==>> https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...&branch=master

Hmmm, he's been a busy boy.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 01:31 PM   #14
toomuchreading
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
It'll be in 5.17 ==>> https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...&branch=master

Hmmm, he's been a busy boy.

BR

Thank you for that info. That's a lot of work...

Thank you all for the amount of work that you do to keep Calibre the best piece of software that I have ever used.