Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-29-2021, 08:40 AM   #1
myros
myros began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3rd Gen K3
New battery not charging pass ~13% K3

I have had the Kindle 3rd Gen, the one with the keyboard at the bottom, for about 10 years. After many years of it being forgotten in a shelf I decided to start using it again about 3 months back. Needless to say that the battery was gone and the kindle was stuck in the low battery screen.

I purchased a new battery of eBay, https://www.ebay.com/itm/293380358743 , and replaced the old one with the new.

After the swap the Kindle continued to be stuck on the low battery screen. I tried all the possible resets, long charging stints and kubrick and nothing seemed to work at the time. Until one day for no apparent reason it came back to live.

The problem I have now is that anytime I disconnect the Kindle from the charger it gives a low battery message. And the message reappears every now and then whilst reading.

I tried to install updates but I am not able to, when i click on "Settings - Settings - Update" i get a message that reads the "battery level is too low to install the update".

I tried Kubrick again and the Kindle came back but is still exhibiting the same behavior.

I have enabled diagnostics mode by creating a blank file named ENABLE_DIAGS in the root directory and under the power menu I can see the battery capacity at 11%-13% even after a 15 hour charging stint. Battery voltage reads 3662. I have removed the battery and measured the voltage with a multimeter and reads 4.1v. It doesnt matter how long i leave the KIndle charging it never goes past those same values.

Anything else I could try? Any suggestions on what I could do?
myros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:22 AM   #2
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
The eBay battery listing says "Free shipping and returns". I would take advantage of the free returns part, then find a different battery vendor, probably not on eBay or Amazon marketplace.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2021, 12:31 PM   #3
myros

return policy is 30 days, I purchased the battery more than 30 days back

Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:45 PM   #4
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by myros View Post
return policy is 30 days, I purchased the battery more than 30 days back

Thanks for the suggestion though.
I seem to recall a thread about putting your battery, or your entire Kindle, properly wrapped to prevent condensation in the freezer overnight sometimes corrects this. Apparently a sensor in the battery needs to be reset and freezing cold accomplishes that.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 04:21 PM   #5
myros

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
I seem to recall a thread about putting your battery, or your entire Kindle, properly wrapped to prevent condensation in the freezer overnight sometimes corrects this. Apparently a sensor in the battery needs to be reset and freezing cold accomplishes that.

Dave
Kindle in the freezer right now, will report back after trying to charge again. thanks
Advert
Old 01-29-2021, 04:45 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by myros View Post
Kindle in the freezer right now, will report back after trying to charge again. thanks
Be sure to use a wall charger and not a computer USB port.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:52 PM   #7
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Do you have KUAL installed? There is a neat Helper option “Battery Status”. If you press it, it shows you how much capacity is currently in the battery in mAh. Can you try that? Maybe the battery controller just report its max wrong, but you actually have enough capacity? Originally Kindle Keyboard has 1750 mAh, according to Amazon Kindle article on Wikipedia
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:38 AM   #8
myros

Freezer did nothing to repair the battery, after leaving it overnight and try at recharging with wall charger same as before battery message appears on disconnect.

How can I install KUAL? If it needs the Settings - Settings - Install Update option I will not be able to install it as the Kindle complains about the battery level being too low.

Thanks