Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2019, 01:48 AM   #1
ururk
ururk began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Kobo Forma Poor battery life

I stopped using my Kobo for the summer as I was spending all of my waking time on a project. My battery had discharged, so I charged it, though it seemed to take a long time to charge. After charging I updated the firmware (9/30/19 firmware). I read three books on that charge, about 800 pages total. 3/4 of that time was with 10% backlight. It discharged to 50%, which seemed reasonable.

Well, a week later I pick it up and it's at 7% battery life.

I'm a bit concerned I killed the battery by not keeping it charged above a threshold. I know LiPo batteries are best kept around 75% in storage, and going too low can damage them. I just, well things got busy.

Any thoughts?
ururk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:17 AM   #2
HolyAura
Groupie
HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Was your Wi-Fi on? Leaving Wi-Fi on may cause some battery drain.
HolyAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2019, 05:21 AM   #3
ururk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAura View Post
Was your Wi-Fi on? Leaving Wi-Fi on may cause some battery drain.
Yes - ultimately I don't think it is necessary. I transfer books via Calibre, so should I just turn it off except when an update comes out?
Old 12-13-2019, 05:37 AM   #4
ururk

I was just browsing the new firmware thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...light=firmware) and there was a post about battery life/battery/sync/wifi.

For now I turned Wi-Fi off, will update the firmware when it is over the air, I'm not in a hurry to mess with my config to force it to install.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:06 AM   #5
prom king
Sloshed
prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sony PRS-500
I was reading some books that were epub and the battery seemed to be almost unbothered by it (I even turned off any screen glow) but the moment I switched to reading some magazines that were on PDF, battery started draining like crazy.

Anyone else noticed this issue?
prom king is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2020, 08:20 AM   #6
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
I've had issues with pdf draining battery as well. Sometimes rendering the PDF is cpu expensive. But if you're scrolling around a lot, that might also cause it, as screen updates eat power.

Sometimes converting or optimizing the pdf will reduce cpu drain. It's easiest on a mac, but you can use gs to do it in linux as well. The converter in calibre breaks formatting which occasionally is an improvement, but wouldn't be my first choice.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote