Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-03-2019, 10:10 AM   #1
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader

The newsletter gives "info on new releases, special offers and prizes."

The choices of ebooks are:
- Women's Suffrage, by Millicent Fawcett. Non-fiction.
- Sword of Rome Standard Bearer, by Richard Foreman. Historical fiction.
- Alexander Hamilton, by Henry Cabot Lodge. Non-Fiction.

Note: the links for the Foreman book and the Lodge book are reversed, i.e., if you select the Foreman book, the Lodge book will download, and vice versa. However, I was able to download both--it may be to possible to download all three (not to say that I am condoning that), I dunno.

Sharpe Books seems to be a mixture of self-pub publisher and traditional publisher. (I rarely create a new thread, but I think that we are allowed to post self-pubs on a thread that we create, unless we prohibit it. Right?)

http://www.sharpebooks.com.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:13 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It is allowed, but there's such a lot of garbage out there that it would be advisable to check whether or not what you're recommending is any good prior to posting.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2019, 10:20 AM   #3
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It is allowed, but there's such a lot of garbage out there that it would be advisable to check whether or not what you're recommending is any good prior to posting.
Very good. I'm going to do some more vetting right now.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:58 AM   #4
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

The two ebooks that I downloaded are far from junk. Nice serif font. Right-justified. If you're into those things. No obvious spelling errors (spelling errors tend to jump out at me). Chapter numbers, but no chapter titles. No clickable TOC (no TOC present at all). No book cover, just a page with the title and author's. Similar to a Gutenberg "book," but worlds better than any Gutenberg "book" that I've seen. Very clean.

Apparently, if you actually buy a copy, it's going to be a lot more professional-looking--at least based upon the Amazon previews of the books (I don't know why Sharpe didn't just go ahead and give away their polished versions). A proper, simple, but well laid out title page. Has TOC, and it's clickable; however, it appears that there is one formatting error in the TOC. Nicer, more professional interior. True chapter headings. No obvious spelling errors. Good covers--don't have that cheesy self-pub look, if you know what I mean.

Sharpe indicates on their homepage that they do reprints and publish new works. Without checking, I feel sure that two of them are (well done) reprints--the Suffrage and Hamilton books--because one author died in 1924, and the other in 1929. The Rome book appears to be one of a series of new books that the publisher does for a particular author.