Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #1
MadAstra
Enthusiast
MadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Oasis, Onyx Boox Note
Boox Note won't turn on

I just got my Boox Note from Amazon US. Coming out of the box, the device won't turn on. So I figured it's just not charged. I plugged it into my PC to charge, and the charging LED is flashing blue and magenta instead of the steady orange the manual says. I've waited for an hour and the LED is still flashing and won't turn on.

Did I get a broken device? Or is there something else I should try?
MadAstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:29 PM   #2
MadAstra
Enthusiast
MadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipse

Update: turns out the issue was the USB port on my PC. When I plugged it into a Kindle charger, it turned on and stopped flashing. Weird issue, but hopefully this will help someone in the future.
Advert
Old 05-12-2018, 07:49 PM   #3
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Glad that you were able to resolve the situation. Sometimes it can simply be the usb cable. Some will work well for charging, but not for transferring data. So it is always a good idea to try a different port or a different cable or a different wall charger in these situations.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:27 AM   #4
Kinshum
Kinshum began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAstra View Post
I just got my Boox Note from Amazon US. Coming out of the box, the device won't turn on. So I figured it's just not charged. I plugged it into my PC to charge, and the charging LED is flashing blue and magenta instead of the steady orange the manual says. I've waited for an hour and the LED is still flashing and won't turn on.

Did I get a broken device? Or is there something else I should try?
I have received my Note on 6 April 2018. It functioned quit well and I am satisfied with its performance very much. However, I encountered the exactly situation as yours. Unfortunately, my Note turned into a brick - give me no response at all no matter how many different cables and wall chargers I have tried. How lucky you are.

Now I can only write an email to ereader.store and wait for their reply.
Kinshum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:02 AM   #5
MadAstra
Enthusiast

Sorry to hear that, Kinshum. Good luck with getting a replacement without too much trouble.
Advert
Old 05-18-2018, 11:04 PM   #6
Kinshum
Kinshum began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAstra View Post
Sorry to hear that, Kinshum. Good luck with getting a replacement without too much trouble.
Many thanks. Ereader.store referred me to the maintanince office of Onyx in ShenzhenChina becuause I live in Hong Kong. Has already contacted the contact person and will send the unit to him in person. Up to this moment they are quite helpful and offer me prompt reply.
Kinshum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:30 AM   #7
charliebub
Connoisseur
charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinshum View Post
Many thanks. Ereader.store referred me to the maintanince office of Onyx in ShenzhenChina becuause I live in Hong Kong. Has already contacted the contact person and will send the unit to him in person. Up to this moment they are quite helpful and offer me prompt reply.
Hi and sorry to hear of your trouble.

This 'is it or isn't it charging, and is it the lead or the USB-port problem?' had plaqued me also for years with many devices, long before I bought the Note (which thankfully is working perfectly for me)...
In the end, last year I started to look for some sort of solution of help with this problem, and found a superb little device available on e-bay for less that £4.

It's called a "USB Doctor", and simply plugs in between your device and charging-source to give a real-time measurement and LED readout of the voltage and amperes going to your charging (or not!) device....

It's been a Godsend to me and is now used constantly to confirm devices are charging and that USB connections and cable are giving the desired volts and amps.... I've uncovered several problematic USB cables, including one to charge my Wife's 'vaping pen' thing!

I'd recommend one of these little beauties to just about anyone - and of course - no I don't have anything to do with whoever makes and sells the devices - I just think it's a seriously useful device to have!

Here's a snapshot of the one I bought last year, it may help remove some uncertainty - it certainly did for me.

Last edited by charliebub; 08-04-2018 at 12:50 PM.
charliebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:14 PM   #8
MadAstra
Enthusiast

Had no idea that such a thing even existed! Thank you @charliebub