Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-29-2016, 07:08 AM   #1
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Need some recs like Tanya Huff, Rachel Bach

Hi, I not long ago finished Tanya Huff's Confederation Series books and I am looking for something similar.

I also read Rachel Bach's Paradox series last year and enjoyed those very much as well.

Any recs?

cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:17 AM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The first book in a new series was released in October: An Ancient Peace: Peacekeeper #1.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2016, 02:17 AM   #3
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
I've found that a series by Elliot Kay is pretty good. Starts with Poor Man's Fight.

He's published by 47North (Amazon)
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:25 PM   #4
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Similar as in military-ish or Space Opera-ish or contact with aliens? (Compared to Tanya Huff's Confederation.)

Vatta's War by Elizabeth Moon. More Space Opera. All human. Trade based.

Kris Longknife by Mike Shepherd/Moscoe. More Military with aliens.

Liaden series by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. Space Opera w/ little military. Mix of male and female protagonists. Mix of human cultures with aliens.

Vorkosigan by Lois McMaster Bujold. Space Opera with a military culture influence. Mix of human cultures. Mostly focuses on the male protagonist Miles.

Not sure if they are eBooks but Lisanne Norman's Sholan Alliance is based around cat-like aliens with a human living among them. Female protagonist with a furry feel, no military.

Anything by C.J. Cherryh is worth reading. The Foreigner series is plant-bound based around humans colonizing a planet already inhabited by sentient aliens. Tons of diplomacy not much action. The male protagonist is the official culture and language translator.

Last edited by artifact; 03-31-2016 at 05:29 PM.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:18 AM   #5
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
The first book in a new series was released in October: An Ancient Peace: Peacekeeper #1.
Apache
Hi Apache. Thanks for your reply. I have read An Ancient Peace: Peacekeeper #1 as well. I like all of the Toren Kerr books. I hope Tanya Huff comes out with another one before too long.
Advert
Old 04-03-2016, 03:20 AM   #6
cadele
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqref View Post
I've found that a series by Elliot Kay is pretty good. Starts with Poor Man's Fight.

He's published by 47North (Amazon)
Hi Darqref. Thanks for the rec. I have bought the book now and look forward to

Old 04-03-2016, 03:42 AM   #7
cadele
Addict

Hi Artifact. Thanks for your detailed reply. I can't recall having read any real military SF prior to the Huff books, but enjoyed those a lot. Not sure if it was the SF, military, space opera or aliens, or a bit of all of them that was the appeal!

I have read a few of the Liaden series and like them a lot - but I get a bit confused with the reading order

I am currently working my way through the Foreigner series by C.J. Cherryh and have just started Destroyer. An absolutely wonderful series.

I have also read the first Chanur book (and want to read the rest), so I think I will pick up Turning Point by Lisanne Norman (available Kobo US), continuing with the kitty theme.

I have all of the Vorkosigan series so will bump those up the TBR - I really enjoyed Bujold's Chalion series.

I have added Vatta's War to my wishlist and also Kris Longknife.

Thanks again!