Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-21-2016, 06:32 AM   #1
MJLee
Enthusiast
MJLee began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle Touch transfer from tablet

First time poster since I'm a Kobo lover heretical as it may be however both my Kobo Aura H20 and now my Samsung tablet need to be serviced and I need something to read on meanwhile . So I want to pick up a cheapo Kindle WiFi 6" Touch just to use a reserve. However, there is no sd card, presumably because it's an old model, so the question is, can I transfer ebooks from the Samsung tablet or the usb stick i have my ebooks on, or do I need a computer? Or is there another solution to geting the books on the reader without using a computer?

Very grateful if someone can help me.
MJLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:41 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLee View Post
First time poster since I'm a Kobo lover heretical as it may be however both my Kobo Aura H20 and now my Samsung tablet need to be serviced and I need something to read on meanwhile . So I want to pick up a cheapo Kindle WiFi 6" Touch just to use a reserve. However, there is no sd card, presumably because it's an old model,
No eInk Kindle has an SD card slot.

Quote:
so the question is, can I transfer ebooks from the Samsung tablet or the usb stick i have my ebooks on, or do I need a computer? Or is there another solution to geting the books on the reader without using a computer?
You need to use a computer. And, of course, if you've been using a Kobo your books are presumably in ePub format, so you'll need to convert them (eg using Calibre) to Kindle format before transferring them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2016, 11:56 PM   #3
MJLee
Enthusiast

Damn so I can't connect the tablet and the Kindle with a usb cable and transfer the books that way?
Old 05-22-2016, 12:38 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
A tablet is not suitable for this sort of thing to begin with...

But as long as the tablet can operate as a USB host, i.e. it supports USB On-The-Go, you should have no problems besides the obvious awkwardness of trying to treat a tablet like a computer. Just plug your standard USB storage device (the Kindle) into the OTG-capable tablet and it will appear like any other sd card, flash drive, or similar.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:56 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
A tablet is not suitable for this sort of thing to begin with...

But as long as the tablet can operate as a USB host, i.e. it supports USB On-The-Go, you should have no problems besides the obvious awkwardness of trying to treat a tablet like a computer. Just plug your standard USB storage device (the Kindle) into the OTG-capable tablet and it will appear like any other sd card, flash drive, or similar.
Technically true, but...

1. Are the books concerned already in Kindle format? If not, they will need to be converted to the appropriate format, which requires a PC.

2. Do the books have DRM? If so, this will prevent a direct transfer from one device to another. They will need to be processed on a PC.

Hence my conclusion that, in all likelihood, the process will require a PC.
Advert
Old 05-22-2016, 07:56 AM   #6
MJLee
Enthusiast

Sigh, I just figured out that for a little more than 2$ I can get it sent to me before I have to get the tablet serviced so no problem then with hooking it up to the computer. Gah, I'm an idiot.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:36 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Technically true, but...

1. Are the books concerned already in Kindle format? If not, they will need to be converted to the appropriate format, which requires a PC.

2. Do the books have DRM? If so, this will prevent a direct transfer from one device to another. They will need to be processed on a PC.

Hence my conclusion that, in all likelihood, the process will require a PC.
It goes without saying that you can only transfer the books from a tablet to the Kindle, if the books you need to transfer are actually on the tablet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLee View Post
Sigh, I just figured out that for a little more than 2$ I can get it sent to me before I have to get the tablet serviced so no problem then with hooking it up to the computer. Gah, I'm an idiot.
Not really sure what you are referring to.

You can indeed send books wirelessly to the Kindle, but it doesn't cost anything... assuming you send it via WiFi rather than 3G.

But how does that solve your problem, and what does that have to do with "before I have to get the tablet serviced"?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:45 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

We need a little more detail in order to be able to give you useful help:

1. What reading app are you using on your tablet?
2. What format are your books currently in?
3. How did you get the books onto your tablet? Transfer from a PC, or download directly from a bookstore?

If you can answer these questions, we'll be able to give you sensible advice about how best you can transfer them to a Kindle.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:46 PM   #9
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
No eInk Kindle has an SD card slot.
The Kindle 1 had one, to make up for its massive 250MiB of internal storage.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:01 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
The Kindle 1 had one, to make up for its massive 250MiB of internal storage.
No eInk Kindle that anyone is likely to buy today has an SD card slot.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:21 AM   #11
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
No eInk Kindle that anyone is likely to buy today has an SD card slot.
True enough, unless you're geekmaster that is.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote