Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-12-2015, 01:40 PM   #1
tamhas
Zealot
tamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Merging catalogs

My wife and I each have our own catalogs. It would be nice if we could merge these and have one catalog, but there are some issues. She has a bunch of books in hers that have never made it to mine, for one reason or another. There may be a few in mine that are not in hers. There are about 120 more in hers than mine.

But, there are some complications. She has a number of columns not in mine like the name of a series and the sequence in the series. I have a couple not in hers, one of which is a Kindle collection column that is automatically maintained. My version has deDRM software and hers does not. Mine has both Kindle and Nook versions of books and hers mostly just Nook.

So, is there some particular magic in trying to merge these?
tamhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
It is Libraries, not Catalog (A Catalog is a standalone book/file made from a Library)

Use (right-click) Copy to Library. It will ask about the missing (custom columns. Regular columns can only be hidden)

Find Duplicates PI to compare the 2 Libraries
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2015, 03:46 PM   #3
tamhas
Zealot
tamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheesetamhas can extract oil from cheese

I don't see Copy to Library. What is one right-clicking on? I point to the other library?

Where is Find Duplicates PI?

What about the additional formats?
Old 04-12-2015, 03:53 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamhas View Post
I don't see Copy to Library. What is one right-clicking on? I point to the other library?

Where is Find Duplicates PI?

What about the additional formats?
1) the second Library must appear on the Quick switch list. You must first have Previously 'Connected' to the Library

1b) Titles (1 to many) in the Source Library

2)Preferences:Get plugins
Old 04-12-2015, 05:38 PM   #5
tamhas
Zealot

So, first I have to get a copy of both libraries on the same machine, then connect to the second library with one copy of Calibre. Then, Copy to Library will show up under a right-click somewhere? Is that book by book?

I have gotten multiple of the same title in a Library previously and used merge to bring them together. Is that what you are talking about?

The issue about multiple formats is that she mostly has only epubs in her library, but I have Kindle (varous) and epub in mine. If we are going to combine, then we want all available formats in the same place.

And, what about merging the column data? I don't mind adding columns on both sides, but how to get the data merged?
Advert
Old 04-12-2015, 05:57 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Yes to available on a single machine. Separate folder (path). DO NOT MIX together

Use Create/switch (use existing)to make Calibre aware of the additional library.

Now use the find duplicates (between library ) to identify overlaps.

I would do this from the to be Source Library view. Mark/Decide what you will do (or not do ) with those

You can select as many books as you want, then right-click: Copy to Library:<destination Library> <optional clean out>

I use this all the time with my Intake Library, where I pound books/metadata into shape, then merge into Mainlib
Old 04-12-2015, 06:08 PM   #7
tamhas
Zealot

And the column data will merge without prep where she and I have different added columns? I presume that this will require going though each book (nearly 1000).
Old 04-12-2015, 06:08 PM   #8
tamhas
Zealot

FWIW, I am currently going through Excel sheets comparing the two and trying to bring them into line so that it can even guess it is the same book. Lots of little differences.