Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
HarperCollins uses Sigil

This comes from a publisher copy. Notice Sigil in the OPF?

Code:
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="BookID" version="2.0">
    <metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
        <dc:title>The Washington Trilogy</dc:title>
        <dc:identifier opf:scheme="ISBN">9780062209108</dc:identifier>
        <dc:rights>© 2008 by Phillip Margolin</dc:rights>
        <dc:creator opf:role="aut">Phillip Margolin</dc:creator>
        <dc:publisher>HarperCollins US</dc:publisher>
        <dc:date opf:event="publication">2008-01-01</dc:date>
        <dc:language>en</dc:language>
        <dc:identifier id="BookID" opf:scheme="UUID">urn:uuid:4c9cba27-66b3-46ed-a8ca-6425585d6771</dc:identifier>
        <meta content="a9780062209108.jpg" name="cover"/>
        <meta content="0.3.4" name="Sigil version"/>
    <description xmlns="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">&lt;p&gt;This special edition of parts 1 &amp; 2 in Phillip Margolin's Washington Trilogy also includes an excerpt of the third book in the trilogy, &lt;i&gt;Capitol Murder&lt;/i&gt;.&lt;p&gt;&lt;b&gt;First Book of the Washington Trilogy: &lt;i&gt;Executive Privilege&lt;/i&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;/b&gt;&lt;p&gt;When private detective Dana Cutler is hired to follow college student Charlotte Walsh, she never imagines the trail will lead to the White House. But the morning after Walsh's clandestine meeting with Christopher Farrington, President of the United States, the pretty young coed is dead&amp;#8212;the latest victim, apparently, of a fiend dubbed "the D.C. Ripper."&lt;p&gt;A junior associate in an Oregon law firm, Brad Miller is stunned by the death row revelations of convicted serial killer Clarence Little. Though Little accepts responsibility for a string of gruesome murders, he swears he was framed for one of them: the death of a teenaged babysitter who worked for then-governor Farrington.&lt;p&gt;Suddenly nowhere in America is safe for a small-time private...</description>
</metadata>
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
good choice.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
And... It is a recognised tool, where's the surprise that a publisher would use it???
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's the first time I have seen Sigil used by a big publishing house.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
I hope they made a big donation.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2012, 12:13 AM   #6
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
I hope they made a big donation.
+1 I wonder what the developers think.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:56 AM   #7
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I suspect it depends on who do outsource their conversion to.

Or if it's inhouse.
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:27 AM   #8
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Heh, they used the old (3.4) version like I still do
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Those effers.

So they use a free program. Do they donate? I doubt it. If they did, they would probably add another line in "how much it costs us to make ebooks, so feel sorry for us".
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #10
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
Those effers.

So they use a free program. Do they donate? I doubt it. If they did, they would probably add another line in "how much it costs us to make ebooks, so feel sorry for us".
So it's a crime for professional publishers to use a free program?
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:54 AM   #11
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesatan View Post
Not at all. In fact, knowing that they use the same program as I do [when I get off my butt to edit a poorly edited ebook] gives me even more ammo for completely dismissing the BPH's.

I KNOW what Sigil is capable of. So when I KNOW that a company is using it, and I get crap books from them [no concrete examples yet, so please don't jump on me for that and ask], then I know the company sucks. Cause it isn't the software.

And all we ever hear from the publishers is how much it COSTS to make an ebook. Then we get this. I am just sick of their hypocrisy, that is all.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #12
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Those effers.

What on earth gives you the idea that the cost of any program is a significant factor in the costing of ebook production??? It is the time put in be the person/people doing the work that costs... Personally I could care less whether a publisher uses a free or hyper-expensive program as long as it's a good tool for the job and they get the job done...
Old 05-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #13
elcreative
Wizard

Quote:
Not at all. In fact, knowing that they use the same program as I do [when I get off my butt to edit a poorly edited ebook] gives me even more ammo for completely dismissing the BPH's.

I KNOW what Sigil is capable of. So when I KNOW that a company is using it, and I get crap books from them [no concrete examples yet, so please don't jump on me for that and ask], then I know the company sucks. Cause it isn't the software.

And all we ever hear from the publishers is how much it COSTS to make an ebook. Then we get this. I am just sick of their hypocrisy, that is all.
That doesn't make sense - HC uses a good program to produce books, you haven't had a bad book from them but they must suck because they give you bad books because the software is great? In any case, it doesn't matter how great the software is, it's the software in front of the computer that is using it, that's far more important...
Old 05-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #14
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesatan View Post
No. But their business model is at odds with the philosophy of distributing things for free for the benefit of society. Thus, it is ironic that they take advantage of such tools just to try to make a buck.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #15
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrucci View Post
No. But their business model is at odds with the philosophy of distributing things for free for the benefit of society. Thus, it is ironic that they take advantage of such tools just to try to make a buck.
Using free software helps them make more bucks.
That seems entirely in line with their business model.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote