Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-02-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
yolandesa
yolandesa began at the beginning.

Device: cybook opus 1st gen
What to do

I've had an Opus since 2009, so far I have been happy with it (more like I've learned to live with its quirks) and since it has been my only ereader, I kind of like it (weight and looks-wise). Lately it bricks (screen freezes or the charging icon appears, the blue light stays on and the only solution is to unplug the battery) more than usual and I presume it has to do with the battery, as it happens more often when it reaches 80-70% charge and not that much at all when the battery is fully charged.
My question is: should I replace the battery with a new one? €30 on Bookeen. Do I have a cheaper alternative? Or should I just accept that it is imperfect and move on to a new reader altogether? Any recommendations?
I had to replace the screen once, as opuses are not designed to be sat on (figures ) so money (besides the initial cost) has been spent.

Many thanks
yolandesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I had very similar problems with my opus. Changing the battery did help there. Still, first step would be to mail bookeen , see what they say on this.

Also, make sure to update the firmware.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
yolandesa

Eowyn, the firmware is up to date and I will contact bookeen, but I don't see much hope there, besides a friendly "you have to buy a new battery from us, €30, shipping excluded"
Old 09-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They asked me to send the cybook, came back with the new battery. On the other hand, getting the battery might be less expensive than shipping back to France.

But, maybe the problem is not the same I had, and bookeen might see things with the cybook in hand. Maybe changing the battery won't fix the problem. This kind of "don't really know where it comes from" problem is a pain.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
- I would format the device and buy a new battery

- 30 Euro is already less than Bookeen asked before, it was about 50 Euros if I remember right. I think Pocketbook sells the same batteries for about 15 Euros (Pocketbook 301 and 360 use the same).
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
yolandesa

Thank you Billi and Eowyn - I've already contacted bookeen and will see what they say about the issue. On the Pocketbook front, will try there.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard

Yes, the pocketbook bateries should be the sames indead.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
yolandesa

Are the batteries somewhere in the pocketbook website, for the life of me I can't seem find them (I am not a Luddite I swear). Found one on ebay is it perhaps the ONE?
Old 09-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard

Looks like it. And the cool-re reader is some netronix device, as the opus.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Yes, this battery on ebay should work.

After a quick glance over pocketbook.de I couldn't find this battery either. But you could contact user Forkosigan (some kind of boss at Pocketbook) here via pm, he told us about this offer in the German part of this forum and he would help you.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:46 AM   #11
yolandesa

Thank you guys, you are the best