Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Kindle on a bike ride

I've been commuting to work by bike for a couple of years now. In the same period, I've had a Pocketbook 360 and a K3 malfunction and being replaced under warranty and I'm beginning to wonder whether ereaders are built to be carried in the pannier of a bike. I've seen blogs of people touring in their bikes with their Kindles, so they seem to be sturdy enough. It might just be a coincidence that those two readers broke.

Anyway, what do you guys do? I'm thinking to buy a piece of foam to cover the bottom of one of the panniers.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
get a good cover! see the; "all about covers" thread
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
get a good cover! see the; "all about covers" thread
Agreed, get a cover if you are going to carry your Kindle like that.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I regularly carry my DX in a string backpack for 15 miles bike rides and sit and enjoy a read over a Weissbier on Lincoln road at the beach. Never had a problem. Use the standard magnetic kindle cover.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Yes, I wouldn't put it in a basket or pannier and let it vibrate around and/or bounce, I'd put it into a backpack. In a case.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
I've been commuting to work by bike for a couple of years now. In the same period, I've had a Pocketbook 360 and a K3 malfunction and being replaced under warranty and I'm beginning to wonder whether ereaders are built to be carried in the pannier of a bike. I've seen blogs of people touring in their bikes with their Kindles, so they seem to be sturdy enough. It might just be a coincidence that those two readers broke.

Anyway, what do you guys do? I'm thinking to buy a piece of foam to cover the bottom of one of the panniers.
I bicycle to and from work and just about anywhere else almost every day and almost always have an e-reader in one of the panniers. I bought a Kindle 2 in early 2009 and for a little over a year kept it in an oven mitt inside a leather case originally designed for a Toshiba Libretto. That worked very well, but it was less convenient than I would have liked, especially during walking to lunch.

I then bought an Amazon cover, which works well enough, except that I have not found a good way to prevent accidentally opening from the back. I generally put my work clothes in a bag that I put in the pannier and then put the kindle on top of the clothes. Even with bumpy roads and crossing railroad tracks, I think the peak shock to Kindle is less than setting it down on a table.

When I bicycle to lunch on the weekend (almost every weekend), I just put the Kindle (already in the Amazon cover) loose in the empty pannier for a 1 to 3km ride. I have never seen an ill effect from that.

I bought a Pocketbook 360 late last year and started carrying it on my daily commute. At first I put in in the little bubble wrap bag it was shipped in, but soon just put it on top of the clothes in the bag. For biking to lunch, I just put it loose in the pannier with only its supplied cover. A few months ago, I stopped carrying the Kindle 2 and do all my away from home reading on the Pocketbook 360. Carrying a Kindle in an Amazon cover is more convenient than carrying it in an oven mitt in a leather case, but just putting the Pocketbook 360 in a pants pocket or bicycle jersey pocket is even more convenient.

The Kindle never showed any sign of trouble from the two years of bicycling with it in a pannier. The Pocketbook 360 freezes on me during startup or shut down about once per month for no reason that I can tell, and I have to do a reset or disconnect the battery. I disconnect the battery when I have nothing to poke into the little hole for the reset button. Because it goes many days in a row of nearly identical bike rides without problem, I seriously doubt that these freezes have anything to do with the bike ride.

I do think that just about any electronic device over a few dozen grams would not last very long rigidly mounted to a bicycle unless it was specifically built to withstand large numbers of strong shocks.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote