Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
RedReadbot
RedReadbot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question Calibre Settings for Paperwhite

I am new to the Kindle world. I've been using Calibre to manage and convert ebooks. Are there any settings I should adjust, or are the defaults fine? I've noticed Calibre converts to .mobi for the Paperwhite. Should I use .azw instead?
RedReadbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
I use KF8/AZW3 myself. But more because I come from devices that are ePub. Mobi has better support in the Personal Document Service that Amazon offers.

The Kindle will read both, and you can use what you like.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I've made the following changes, which I think work very well.;

Preferences -> Plugins -> Device Interface Plugins -> Kindle 2/3/4/Touch/Paperwhite Device Interface

Click customize Plugin button

Make sure azw3 is checked, and move it to the top of the list with the up arrow, so it becomes the prefered format. (azw3 is amazon KF8 format, wheras .mobi can be either or.)

Optional: I've actually unchecked mobi for my kindle, since I want Calibre to convert any mobi to KF8. Amazon has made many improvements to the KF8 reading software over the old mobi/prc. and a KF8 file will work better. In particular, page turns are much faster (especially turn page backwards which is painfully slow on movie files) and images can be opened/zoomed in image viewer.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Amazon has made many improvements to the KF8 reading software over the old mobi/prc.
Really? What are they? The line spacing is smaller, the font sizes are all gratuitously different (making for a disruptive reading experience if you have both KF8 and MOBI books on your device), it *still* can't hyphenate, it somehow manages to be laggier than the Java-based mobi reader (fairly frequently missing page-turns or mixing multiple together, even on a K4 with its hardware page-turn buttons), and publishers can foolishly choose to jam in their chosen (pig-ugly) font and prevent you from changing it to the one you prefer for all your other books. Oh, and the file sizes are larger. None of these things seem at all positive to me.

I mean, if they were rewriting the reading app in a different language they could at least have added hyphenation too. It's not like hyphenation in C hasn't been a solved problem for thirty-odd years at this point.

I hope they at least left the ability to run JavaScript out: I was astonished when ePub added that, has nobody learned anything about the dangers of adding interpreters that can run arbitrary code in totally unexpected places?
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Really? What are they? The line spacing is smaller,
Line spacing minimum is 1.2, (try to make line spacing smaller, the Kindle just ignores it.) strangely enough 1.2 line spacing looks the same as the mobi books to me.

Quote:
he font sizes are all gratuitously different
Font size of 1 em looks the same as the standard Mobie font. Of course, some publishers like to use a different font size. If you don't want to fiddle with font size, and happen to be converting with Calibre and default settings, the main text body font will be scaled to be 1 em, however.

Quote:
(making for a disruptive reading experience if you have both KF8 and MOBI books on your device), it *still* can't hyphenate, it somehow manages to be laggier than the Java-based mobi reader (fairly frequently missing page-turns or mixing multiple together, even on a K4 with its hardware page-turn buttons),
Can't comment on this, never experienced this problem. Quite the oppsite, actually.

Quote:
and publishers can foolishly choose to jam in their chosen (pig-ugly) font and prevent you from changing it to the one you prefer for all your other books.
Last time I checked, Kindle defaults to using the font selected in preferneces, and you actually have to change to "Publisher Font" to see otherwise. Are we even talking about the same device(s) here?

Quote:
Oh, and the file sizes are larger. None of these things seem at all positive to me.
Err, no, actually, AZW3 is actually much smaller, since it is a zipped format, like Epub. You are perhaps thinking of a .mobi that includes both KF6 *and* KF8 (often with the source epub as well.), which would, indeed, make that file much larger. If you actually read my post however, this is not what I was suggesting.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
calibre, paperwhite