Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-16-2022, 09:35 PM   #1
BecDiggity
BecDiggity began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T2, Libra 2
Warm light Onyx Boox

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a Poke 3 (Or maybe the leaf) and would love some info about the warm light.

I like to read in the dark with a very orange screen and the brightness set fairly low. My question is how dark does the poke 3 go? I really don't like a yellow backlight at all, the redder the better.

I'm only looking at the leaf as some people have said it's nice to read with a white device rather than black, and it has speakers. Any thoughts on this?

(I've also heard the KOBO has a nice orange screen but I need to have Play Books installed)

Any help would be appreciated!
BecDiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 02:38 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BecDiggity View Post
I need to have Play Books installed
For Google Play Books you need an Android device - no Kobo or .....
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2022, 03:01 AM   #3
BecDiggity

Thankyou, yes that's a problem for me. I've seen pictures of the poke 3 looking yellow, but I've seen some people say the poke is quite red. I'm just confused right now lol.
Old 02-17-2022, 04:50 AM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BecDiggity View Post
poke 3 looking yellow, but I've seen some people say the poke is quite red. I'm just confused right now
I'm thinking more of a reddish-pink-orange color - certainly not yellow.
Boox Leaf too.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 06:32 AM   #5
BecDiggity

That's fantastic, thankyou for your help with this!
Advert
Old 02-17-2022, 10:32 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I read Google Play books on my Kobos. No need to have it installed.

But no Kobo I've seen has had red color temperature.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 02:13 PM   #7
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Almost everything on the market (I know, that's a sweeping generalization) uses a TI LM3630A LED driver chip for the front light. As such, it has the innate ability to go down to a brightness level of 1 photon/hour (approximately). Whether the user interface makes this readily accessible or not is another question. In any case, a 3rd party app can access it.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote