Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-23-2020, 09:54 AM   #1
Forbid
Probably Procrastinating
Forbid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Kindle Hardware Basically Unchanged?

So it's almost black friday and I thought I'd do some research to see if I wanted to upgrade my PW2 from 2013...

Am I crazy or is the only real difference between the 2 and 4 that it has a slightly better screen and double memory and storage?

Is there anyone that has both a 2 and 4 that can let me know if it's any snappier or anything?

I'm honestly shocked that in 7 years they don't seem to have upgraded the processor at all...
Forbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:56 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The PW4 is also waterproof.

But yes, that's about it. The underlying screen tech hasn't changed much, if at all, and so a faster processor won't really help - its the speed of the screen technology that's the limiting factor apparently.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2020, 10:11 AM   #3
Forbid
Probably Procrastinating
Forbid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Ah, okay. That's really unfortunate then. So is the screen in the Oasis a different screen? Cause I see that it has a dual-core processor.
Forbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:23 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbid View Post
Ah, okay. That's really unfortunate then. So is the screen in the Oasis a different screen? Cause I see that it has a dual-core processor.
It's bigger. But I don't know if that's enough to make the dual-core processsor worthwhile. Perhaps it is.

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-23-2020 at 11:28 AM.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:13 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
There have been some rather important updates to how the tech is *driven* though, but that's less noticeable on a Kindle than it is on other brands, because lab126 was always pretty damn good at that to begin with, and, to some extent, FW updates mattered on that front (e.g., FW 5.6.x saw a backport of a few fancy things introduced on the Voyage to all earlier devices running the same SoC).

I say "to some extent", because while some of the changes may be readily taken advantage of by the Kindle framework, some others weren't (or not until much, much later, or even delayed until newer hardware).

c.f., the platform list for a breakdown of the history.

Some of those are definitely a SoC update (most notably Wario, then Zelda/Rex).

TL;DR: For your specific example, yes, there are definite advantages from switching from a PW2 (Wario) to a PW4 (Rex). (And that's coming from someone who used a PW2 for a good long while, and whose daily driver is now a Kobo Forma, which uses the same SoC as a PW4).

As far as the Oasis 2/3 (Zelda) is concerned, I can't really say how much the dual-core helps, as I've never used one myself, but what I can say is that, from the few platforms I'm familiar with (Kindle/Kobo, to a lesser extent PB/rM), the Kindle is by and large the one where a fancier CPU would make the most difference, given how the framework is built (highly modular, a metric shitton of running threads). But it'd mostly matter in non-critical use-cases, though. Reading? Eh, not so much, it's already pretty damn fast on Kindle.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-23-2020 at 12:29 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2020, 06:59 PM   #6
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a Paperwhite 4 and a Paperwhite 3 and I used to have a Paperwhite 2 that I gave to a friend. I find that I like one about as much as another. There are differences but they don't affect reading much.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:29 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I have a PW2, PW3 and PW4. I do find the PW4 faster for browsing and searching than PW2 (they've got around the same number of books: a couple hundred or so).

My PW3 is slower than PW4 but dunno if that's due to chipset or because I've got a couple thousand books in there.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote