Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
KindleReader36
KindleReader36 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Paperwhite not showing up

I have an iMac if that helps, a Kindle Paperwhite and the USB. I've tried everything, unplugging and replugging, restarting the computer, restarting the kindle, replugging into another port, nothing works. My computer will charge the Kindle, but it won't show up. I just got a few books off a website I really want to add to my Kindle Paperwhite, but it just plain won't work. My iMac won't read it! Please help
KindleReader36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
You shouldn't post the same post in two different threads.

That said, download and utilize the Send To Kindle Mac app. The books (assuming they are in a compatible format and are not DRMd) will then appear on the Kindle when you sync to Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle/mac

As for your mounting problem, it could be a conflict on the Mac, or a problem with the USB cable.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I was told to always check the cables. Always. It's only ever been the cable one time. Once. An HDMI cable.

I still always check the cables. Why? Because it's easy to check. Especially, something so ubiquitous as USB. Also, when it's not the cable, I can curse the dude who told me to always check the cables. (Since pidgeon92 told you first, you know who to curse when it's not the cable.)
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I have never had a cable fail. My real thought is that the Mac is having a conflict and is not recognizing the Kindle as a drive. Unlike me, I doubt most people have multiple computers lying around that they can use for device testing, but I would wager most of them do have multiple USB cables, so it is an easy initial test.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
KindleReader,

Does the kindle show up in the Disk Utility? I don't know what to suggest if it does or if it doesn't, but that may be one more clue for someone with more knowledge than I have.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
jwkeener
jwkeener began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Solution to Kindle not appearing as USB drive on a Mac

I found this in an Amazon chat:

Connect the Kindle to your Mac usb port as usual and then (on the Kindle) go into Settings > Menu (the horizontal lines on the top right) > Restart Kindle. The Kindle restarts when connected and then appears as a USB drive.

It works! (for me anyway...)
jwkeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkeener View Post
I found this in an Amazon chat:

Connect the Kindle to your Mac usb port as usual and then (on the Kindle) go into Settings > Menu (the horizontal lines on the top right) > Restart Kindle. The Kindle restarts when connected and then appears as a USB drive.

It works! (for me anyway...)
Good news is this does work one time per restart only. The bad news is that it only works once, so ejecting the PW2 and plugging it back in fails to reconnect to the Mac. Bottom line is that you have to connect the cable, then restart the Kindle EVERY time you need to connect it with the Mac. That is kludge and time consuming. Apple needs to get the driver fixed.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Isn't there a PC emulator for MAC's? If so, activate it and then try and plug in the Kindle.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Isn't there a PC emulator for MAC's? If so, activate it and then try and plug in the Kindle.
I do not want to run that on my Mac. Besides you have to shell out money to buy the Windows OS, and from friends who run these emulators I hear horror stories. I need Windows for a few things like programming my ham radios. So instead of using an emulator on a Mac I keep an older Windows laptop around. Some of my radios are so old they require a true DOS PC, so I even have an old 1990s DOS laptop too.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #10
pidgeon92
Wizard

Off topic, but I've been using Parallels with Windows 7 on my iMac for years, and have had very few problems. I mostly use it for running my Access database. I also use it to download WMA audiobooks from the library, as WMA audiobooks don't even show up as available when using a Mac based browser.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I've had no trouble at all connecting older Kindles to my MBP, including repeatedly. Is this a new issue with the Paperwhite? (And yes, I'd switch the cable out before any other troubleshooting!)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #12
medgirl2001
medgirl2001 began at the beginning.

I'm having the same problem with the new Paperwhite. My old Paperwhite (and other old Kindles) never had this problem. With the new one, though, my iMac will only recognize it the first time. After that, I have to reboot the Kindle to connect again. I tested this just now against the old Paperwhite using the same cable and port. The old one works; the new one doesn't.
medgirl2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

5.4.2 update has apparently fixed the issue with connecting PW2 to Mac via USB cable

I just noticed that the FW 5.4.2 update has apparently fixed the issue with connecting PW2 to Mac via USB cable. It seems to consistently work now at least on my Mac.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #14
medgirl2001
medgirl2001 began at the beginning.

It fixed it for me too.
medgirl2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:47 PM   #15
janewolynez
janewolynez began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
please help!!! I cannot send books and papers to the Kindle. The Mac sees the device, but no icon for the device is shown. It has been working fine. Then all of a sudden_______nada. Please help.
jwolynez@me.om
janewolynez is offline   Reply With Quote