Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-10-2016, 04:30 PM   #1
empyrking
Enthusiast
empyrking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.empyrking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.empyrking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.empyrking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.empyrking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.empyrking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.empyrking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.empyrking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.empyrking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.empyrking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.empyrking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura H20
Kobo Glo HD , H20 or Paperwhite 3

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum let me just say it's great to be here and been reading in some of the threads. I currently have a kindle pw3 but would also like to purchase one for my wife. I'm leaning towards getting a Kobo for a different environment. From where I currently live I could purchase one from the bay shipped. Glo HD @ $110, H20 @ $128 and Kind paperwhite 3 @ $128. I don't mind losing amazon store and getting any support for either kindle or kobo is nil. Just like to know if I go Kobo is there anything I should be wary about and what would be the better deal for me? Thanks!
empyrking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:14 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
How comfortable are you with computers?

I like Kobo's more open platform. But Amazon has a better store. So I buy my books from Amazon and convert them via Calibre to sideload on my Kobo. I prefer doing it that way, because I have the freedom to buy books from anywhere and not feel tied to a particular ecosystem.

But if that sounds like too much hassle and you just want the easiest experience, I'd recommend the Kindle. No muss, no fuss. They are the 800 pound gorilla in the eBook world and for good reason.

I like a 6" screen, so I haven't really looked into the H20 much. I do admire the waterproofing and the color changing frontlight. If Kobo would come out with a scaled down version of the H20, I'd snap it up.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2016, 05:22 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you want a bigger screen, but not as big as an Aura One, go with the H2O. It just feels better than a 6" screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:33 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have Kobos and Kindles although I don't have the Aura HD. My neighbor does though and I've helped him set it up and I showed him how to use it and spent half a day with it so I'm kind of familiar with it.

I prefer the Kindles. Their interface is more straightforward and it has all the features I really care about. It's also a little faster but I'm not sure how important that is. And the Kindle interface is more reliable. It's features pretty much always work. With the Kobo the important features always work but sometimes the minor features don't. It depends on the book.

The screen is equally good on both. The Aura HD is slightly larger and to me that isn't an advantage although I realize to some it is.

The Kobos do have a micro SD card slot. I've never used it but many people do.

The real test, though, is reading. I read on my Kobos and on my Kindles and since I'm more used to the Kindle feature set they seem more natural to me. But the truth is I'm equally happy reading on either.

My particular Kobos are the original Auras which have a poorer screen light than the Aura HD but it's still just fine. If I could only have one reader it would be my Voyage but if it had to be the Aura I'd be fine with that.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:08 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
The Kobos do have a micro SD card slot. I've never used it but many people do.
The Kobos in question here don't have SD card slots. I *think* they all have the same amount of internal storage, but don't quote me on that.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2016, 08:13 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The Kobos in question here don't have SD card slots. I *think* they all have the same amount of internal storage, but don't quote me on that.
The OP said the Glo HD and the Aura H2O. The Glo HD doesn't have an SD card slot, the Aura H2O does. They both have an 4GB of internal storage, with about 3.2GB available for books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:21 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by empyrking View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum let me just say it's great to be here and been reading in some of the threads. I currently have a kindle pw3 but would also like to purchase one for my wife. I'm leaning towards getting a Kobo for a different environment. From where I currently live I could purchase one from the bay shipped. Glo HD @ $110, H20 @ $128 and Kind paperwhite 3 @ $128. I don't mind losing amazon store and getting any support for either kindle or kobo is nil. Just like to know if I go Kobo is there anything I should be wary about and what would be the better deal for me? Thanks!
Just so you know ... you can also buy the Kobo Glo HD from Amazon for $110.

https://www.amazon.com/Kobo-Digital-.../dp/B012F4HVBE
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:46 PM   #8
empyrking
Enthusiast
empyrking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.empyrking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.empyrking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.empyrking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.empyrking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.empyrking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.empyrking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.empyrking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.empyrking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.empyrking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.empyrking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately I am outside the U.S so I only have access to the bay as of the moment. I do have the paperwhite 3 and it's great and all but we just wanted to try out the kobo ecosystem for a change. I'm pretty well rounded with a pc. So, my question should be should I go with the aura H20 or the Glo HD? I was leaning toward the Glo HD but heard somewhere that the H20 had a more premium feel to it. Of course, if it isn't worth exploring I can also get the paperwhite 3 instead.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:22 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
So, my question should be should I go with the aura H20 or the Glo HD? I was leaning toward the Glo HD but heard somewhere that the H20 had a more premium feel to it.
I have both. I got the Aura H2O first when the light on the my Glo stopped working. I loved it from the start. After a couple of months, I bought a Glo HD. I didn't need it, it was really a "Why not?" purchase. Again a great reader and I loved it from the start. For a month or so, each week I swapped between, but, I have pretty much settled on the Glo HD. The deciding factor was the size. The Glo HD is easy to carry during my commute and slip into a pocket when walking between the train and bus. With the Aura H2O, I found I was carrying it rather than putting it in a pocket, or putting it in my backpack which was inconvenient. I suppose I found the extra screen space didn't compensate for the inconvenience the larger size added.

As to "premium" fell, I don't know. Both have been in their Kobo covers for so long I don't know what either feels like. But, I remember liking the feel of the new Glo HD cover more the new Aura H2O cover. But, the covers have worn enough that they both feel good now.

Unless you get the chance to pick each up and have that immediate "this is the one" feeling*, then the decision should be based on the features: Screen size - 6" vs 6.8", external SD card, waterproofing. Everything else is pretty much the same.

* Today, I went in to the local Kobo retailer to look at the Aura ONE. That's the feeling I had when I picked up the demo model. My credit card is very happy that they had already run out of stock. But I think I'll start drafting some answers to the question "Why did you buy another eReader?" I'm pretty sure my wife will be asking that before the end of the year.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:59 PM   #10
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Both the Glo HD and the H2O are beautiful ereaders. I endorse davidfor's comments. I'm sure you would be happy with either of them. There is one area where Kobo readers are clearly superior, and that is fonts. Kobo gives readers much more control over fonts, which is a great advantage to older readers or those with vision problems. For many this is not that important, and though I love and use this feature, I can still read quite comfortably on my Kindle. I hope that continues to be so for a long time.

However, though some will disagree strongly with me, the Kobo "ecosystem" is something to be avoided. Whilst I would like to support Kobo more, I only buy books from them very occasionally. They are simply too expensive. It seems to me that they simply don't come near to Amazon on price, and so engage in marketing tactics to seek to hide this. It was once discount codes which needed to be above 30% in many cases to equal Amazon prices. It seems codes are still used, but there is now a payed club where the benefits seem to be largely illusory for most, though I have not checked for a while. Kobo also has many sales but usually on a very limited range of books. I would go so far as to say that you should never buy a book from Kobo, even with a discount, without checking the price on Amazon.

The best of both worlds at the moment is probably to buy your books from Amazon, then use Calibre to remove the DRM (assuming you can do so legally in your jurisdiction, of course), convert to Epub or KEPub and transfer to your Kobo for reading. Be aware, however, that this is not viable or ethical in the case of borrowed books, including Kindle library books, Kindle Unlimited books or the new Prime books. In the latter 2 cases if you don't read on a Kindle or a Kindle app Amazon will not be able to monitor pages read and the authors will not be paid. Personally I would not buy a Kobo reader if I was confined solely to Kobo's ecosystem.

Finally, as you are already a Kindle owner, you need to consider the benefits that Amazon offers to families, as well as your spouse having access to your existing library.

Good luck. I think you would be happy with either Kobo model. The real question for you is Kobo or another Kindle.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:14 AM   #11
empyrking
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
* Today, I went in to the local Kobo retailer to look at the Aura ONE. That's the feeling I had when I picked up the demo model. My credit card is very happy that they had already run out of stock. But I think I'll start drafting some answers to the question "Why did you buy another eReader?" I'm pretty sure my wife will be asking that before the end of the year.
Ha! Such a steep slope indeed! That's what I'm trying to avoid since these type of things doesn't just happen on my ereader purchase decision hence the reason for my undecisiveness. It's a thin line between best of both worlds and 3 ain't so bad. We usually put the kindle in the bag as it doesn't fit in our pocket so mobility isn't an issue.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:19 AM   #12
empyrking
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Good luck. I think you would be happy with either Kobo model. The real question for you is Kobo or another Kindle.
I'm already in the Kobo ship sailing away and you had to give me a shout out from your kindle ship. Sorry, what I meant was OS and not library ecosystem. Now you had that mischievous kindle troll voice whispering behind my ear!
Old 10-11-2016, 02:08 AM   #13
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
I'm already in the Kobo ship sailing away and you had to give me a shout out from your kindle ship. Sorry, what I meant was OS and not library ecosystem. Now you had that mischievous kindle troll voice whispering behind my ear!
Don't worry. You won't regret trying Kobo. In any case Calibre and Apprentice Alf solve most of the problems of different brands and formats.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:47 AM   #14
empyrking
Enthusiast

Quote:
Don't worry. You won't regret trying Kobo. In any case Calibre and Apprentice Alf solve most of the problems of different brands and formats.
Thanks for the nudge! I'm purchasing our first kobo today and I guess it would be a coin toss between h20 and hd glo. Wish me luck and see you guys around for more noob questions regarding the kobo.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:08 AM   #15
Silverty
Connoisseur
Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O2
Quote:

However, though some will disagree strongly with me, the Kobo "ecosystem" is something to be avoided. Whilst I would like to support Kobo more, I only buy books from them very occasionally. They are simply too expensive. It seems to me that they simply don't come near to Amazon on price, and so engage in marketing tactics to seek to hide this. It was once discount codes which needed to be above 30% in many cases to equal Amazon prices. It seems codes are still used, but there is now a payed club where the benefits seem to be largely illusory for most, though I have not checked for a while. Kobo also has many sales but usually on a very limited range of books. I would go so far as to say that you should never buy a book from Kobo, even with a discount, without checking the price on Amazon.
Actually Kobo has pricertainly match guarantee so the difference between the two stores shouldn't be an issue.
Silverty is offline   Reply With Quote