Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #1
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Question New Kindle or PB 360?

Next month's my birthday and I've told the husband I want a new e-reader (yes, it's finally happening). The reason I told him is that the battery on the old Sony is almost dead and that I want epub support.

So after much research and agonising I decided I wanted the Pocketbook 360. I was happy to see the price drop not long ago too.

And then I saw the new Kindle announced for only $139 with Wi-Fi! And it's actually starting to look OK too now. But the Kindle doesn't support epub (there goes one of my reasons/excuses).

So the question is, how annoying is that lack of epub? Is the Kindle hacakable to support epub? What do Kindle owners think? Another question, how sturdy are these devices compared to the Sony e-readers (Or how sturdy do they feel...)?

Thanks.

Thanks for your help!
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
grimo1re:

As the happy owner of a PB360 - I sympathize with your quandry.

To start, the Kindle cannot read epubs. Period. But, if you have a smidgen of know-how (and access to Google and a bit of patience), you can always take any epub and convert the file to mobi, which the Kindle will read. In fact, if the epub doesn't have DRM, Calibre will convert it for you. If it IS DRM'd, then that's where Google and patience comes in -along with a desire to strip DRM on your part...

I understand there is a script you can run to convert mobi DRM'd library books to run on the Kindle (it tricks the Kindle, somehow). Other than that - short of stripping the DRM and converting the library books - there is no legal way to use the public library/Overdrive ebooks on the Kindle.

So, other than that - the Kindle appears to be a great device (disclaimer: I don't have one). The reason I don't have one is because I have the PB360, which I like better than the thought of a Kindle for two main reasons:

1) It reads darn near any non-DRM ebook (including mobi/prc) and Adobe's DRM epubs and PDFs that you can get from the library. With a user-developed FBreader program, the reading experience is highly customizable and, once you get it the way you like, no need for further work.

2) The included cover. I can't begin to stress how awesome the idea of this cover is! It comes WITH the device at no extra charge and you can attach it to the back of the reader whilst you are reading. No need for extra money or weight to get a cover that'll protect your device. I am very comfortable putting the PB360 in my school back pack or my hand bag - with no qualms that I might break the screen.

As you know, no one's preference is the same as any other's. I know you'd be happy with either device (I'd really like the Kindle myself ... if not for the cover needed).

Regardless, good luck on your decision. Whichever one you pick - it'll be a great device.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Using Calibre or any other converter you can convert your books from epub to mobi format and put them on the Kindle... of course, if they have DRM then you'd have to do a little stripping, but that's another post...

I don't find the lack of epub annoying at all. Amazon has the largest catalogue of in-copyright books at this time, and any public domain books (pre-1923) can be converted to mobi/Kindle format if they aren't already. There are a number of websites you can go to to find books for the Kindle besides Amazon, and most websites offer a Kindle-accessible version.

Personally, I don't find that I need to go shopping around for prices or books that much: if it's available as an ebook, I can find it at Amazon, and due to Agency pricing, there aren't as much differences in prices now.... save of course on Random House books, and Random House is the US's biggest publisher if I remember correctly so Amazon tries to keep the prices low on those books. Don't forget all those independent books, too!

As to the sturdiness of the Kindle.... while it's not made of the same stuff as any of the sony readers, I find it quite durable. I've dropped my DK and k2 more times than I'd care to remember (in and out of a case) and they're still going strong. It isn't a cheap plastic thing, like the Cooler-ebook reader by any means. If you can, go to a target store and check out the Kindle they should have on display. I don't think they have any working models, but you can hold it and feel it's weight and see whether you like what it's made of.

Hope this helped!
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I love my Kindle, but I have to admit that I like the idea of easy access to ePub... I understand your quandary.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I have both a PB360 and a Kindle2.
Both have their strengths and weaknesses and both are solid choices, especially the K3, which has addressed a lot of the issues I had with the K2.

Me, because the bulk of my reading is DRM-free, I tend to use the PB360 a lot more.
It is lighter, has better ergonomics (again, K3 is improved over K2), is more expandable and more customizable.

I would suggest that your first decision needs to be where you are going to get your books from. If you are going to get them from Amazon then Kindle has a leg up since you don't have to strip DRM or jump through hoops to get them onto your reader.
If you are going to rely on library ebooks, the ADE-based PB360 has a leg up for similar reasons.

Second, you need to decide how important form factor and portability is for you. The K3 is slightly smaller and lighter than the K2 and has the newer higher contrast screens while the PB360 is the size of a CD jewel case and is going to be a wee bit sharper because its 5" screen has slightly higher resolution (200dpi) than the 6" K3 (167 dpi).

Third, you need to decide how important customizability and hackability is to you. Both are comparable when it comes to DRM'ed content but the PB360 is quite a bit more customizable than Kindle, especially for DRM-free content. The PB360 has better onboard file management and allows you to use any TrueType font family to read with while Kindle offers up only three variants of the Caecillia family.

Finally, there is the issue of connectivity; the K3 has wifi (or even 3g wireless) for access to the Kindle storefront or your own PC and your personal library, while the PB360 relies on its microSDHC and USB to get content onboard.

You won't do badly with either; you just need to determine which features offer value to you and best meet your needs.

Last edited by fjtorres; 08-12-2010 at 10:48 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Thanks all....I think I'll go with the PB 360. Partly because I just want epub support (without having to convert everything), I like the customization options, and partly because I'm just damn impressed with the PB 360 and the company that makes it. I'm not all that fond of Amazon and I suppose I have a chance here to 'vote with my wallet' as some people on this forum are fond of saying. If I had more money I'd buy both though
Old 08-16-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Nothing says your first ebook reader has to be your last.
The things are fairly durable (with reasonable care) and they *are* dropping in price...
Have fun.
And make sure to stop by the Pocketbook Forum here for tips on how to squeeze even more out of the PB360.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
anthony_barker
anthony_barker began at the beginning.

Device: PB360, nokia n900
I just went through the same question

Went for the PB 360 as
1) Expandable
2) Better pdf handling
3) epub support, html etc
4) Supports my local library (epub/pdf with Adobe DRM) - kindle does not
5) Smaller

Just as I ordered the new Kindle 3 came out.... anyway it won't be my last device....

I would go for kindle if you only plan to mainly read and or order books from amazon.
anthony_barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Im sure you will be happy with your decision. Did I mention that we ship to Australia
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #10
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I translated the Pocketbook firmware and its reader software FBReader to Spanish for the sake of it. That should tell you enough about my opinion of the machine.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #11
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
I want both.
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #12
grimo1re
Geekette

Jezebel: me too. But, that's not going to happen so PB 360 it is.

Will see if I can order today. I'm just about jumping up and down with excitement - I'd actually be doing if I didn't have such a big cold. (sniffle, cough, splutter).
Old 08-17-2010, 06:39 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezebel View Post
I want both.
I want them all!

But as grimo1re already said, that's not going to happen
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:04 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I want them all!
I have them all .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:11 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have them all .
I bet you don't have a husband that will complain every time you buy something new

(you already have a reader, why do you need another one?)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote