Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-31-2024, 05:19 AM   #1
baursak
Enthusiast
baursak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2021) Signature Edition
Add series / series index to Kobo

1. I am almost 100% happy with original OS / UI of Kobo, - so I still manage to avoid additional software on my Kobo (kinda minimalism)
2. I don't use Kobo book service and read side loaded books only
3. My algorithm of books delivery to Kobo is: "original EPUB file - kepubify.exe - upload kepub file to Google Drive - import file from Google Drive to Kobo"
4. The two things I would like to achieve, are (i) proper and unified author names and (ii) availability of "series / series index"
5. I didn't achieve it with EPub Metadata Editor: while trying to import edited kepub file from Google Drive I see the following message "Google Drive Error. Sorry, the file XYZ could not be synced."
6. I didn't achieve it with Calibre either:
6a. I edit EPUB metadata (edit author's name, put in series / series index), save it to disk (otherwise the file name is in Latin letters rather than in Russian), process with kepubify.exe and upload to Google Drive
6b. After import of file from Google Drive to Kobo - there is no "series / series index" in Series View of My Book (though everythig's OK with author name)

What plugin to Calibre should I use and how should I set it up so that I could enjoy Series View of My Book filled 100% ?

Last edited by baursak; 05-31-2024 at 05:24 AM. Reason: grammatical errors
baursak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 06:31 AM   #2
innocenat
Zealot
innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PPW5, Quaderno A4, Supernote A6X, Leaf 2
Kobo by default doesn't read series information from the epub/kepub file. Calibre does this by recognizing the books and modify book database on the device to add series data, but that require the book to be sent by calibre.

If you want to use Google Drive, then you need to install NickelSeries addons. https://pgaskin.net/kepubify/ns/
innocenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2024, 06:52 AM   #3
dragoworld235
Enthusiast
dragoworld235 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo libra 2
Adding the series in the kobo reader necessitates a specific process.
Even with the series infos correctly set in the epub/kepub metadata, the reader does not import it from side-loaded books.

I’m using Calibre to manage my ebooks and load them on my Libra 2, but I hope it will work with books side-loaded differently.
You will need to have the ebooks in Calibre, and the plugin Kobo Touch Extended Driver.
In the plugin settings, in the "Metadata, on device & advanced" tab, you need to check "Update metadata on the device" and "Set series information" if it’s not already set by the default config (I hope that these are the only settings to set, my current working config is a lot of years of tinkering, sometimes just trying until it works).
I’m not sure how Calibre matches books on the device and in its library, so it might not detected that these are the same books.

So the process is:
- add the books to your device and let them load by the reader by disconnecting it from the computer
- re-connect the reader to the computer
- in Calibre, the device must be detected and the books marked automatically as on the device in a column that is only shown when a device is connected
- the plugin will update the device database with the series info automatically
- eject/disconnect the device, and now, your books will have the series displayed in the reader.

It’s working for me with my device and my current Calibre config, but the process may corrupt your device database as it’s modifying it. So don’t do it if your not ready to potentially loose all reading states, notes, etc.
dragoworld235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 07:28 AM   #4
baursak
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocenat View Post
Kobo by default doesn't read series information from the epub/kepub file. Calibre does this by recognizing the books and modify book database on the device to add series data, but that require the book to be sent by calibre.

If you want to use Google Drive, then you need to install NickelSeries addons. https://pgaskin.net/kepubify/ns/
As far as I understood - NickelSeries is responsible for reading existing 'series / series index' metadata
- but what software is capable to create / modify this metadata? Calibre?
- I tried EPub Metadata Editor to create 'series / series index' metadata, but after processing it with kepubify.exe and then upload to Google Drive - I received an error message on Kobo while trying to import the file
Old 05-31-2024, 07:30 AM   #5
baursak
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoworld235 View Post
Adding the series in the kobo reader necessitates a specific process.
Even with the series infos correctly set in the epub/kepub metadata, the reader does not import it from side-loaded books.

I’m using Calibre to manage my ebooks and load them on my Libra 2, but I hope it will work with books side-loaded differently.
You will need to have the ebooks in Calibre, and the plugin Kobo Touch Extended Driver.
In the plugin settings, in the "Metadata, on device & advanced" tab, you need to check "Update metadata on the device" and "Set series information" if it’s not already set by the default config (I hope that these are the only settings to set, my current working config is a lot of years of tinkering, sometimes just trying until it works).
I’m not sure how Calibre matches books on the device and in its library, so it might not detected that these are the same books.

So the process is:
- add the books to your device and let them load by the reader by disconnecting it from the computer
- re-connect the reader to the computer
- in Calibre, the device must be detected and the books marked automatically as on the device in a column that is only shown when a device is connected
- the plugin will update the device database with the series info automatically
- eject/disconnect the device, and now, your books will have the series displayed in the reader.

It’s working for me with my device and my current Calibre config, but the process may corrupt your device database as it’s modifying it. So don’t do it if your not ready to potentially loose all reading states, notes, etc.
I am really overwhelmed with lots of info ...
Advert
Old 05-31-2024, 07:40 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
There is no 100% official way of having series data in the ebook. So Calibre needs a second connection after the ebook has been imported by Kobo. The series column and a subtitle column also has to be configured, just as Collections need configured. I have a Collections column for Kobo and Sony rather than using Tags.

The Device Driver settings has Collections settings on 2nd tab and Enable Series (using Calibre's Series column) on 3rd tab. Mysteriously you don't need to tick Subtitle here.

In Kobo Utilities "Update Metadata" I have Subtitle ticked and Template = {#subtitle}
However that only works with manually selecting title(s) rather than automatic and Selecting Update metadata.

So just now I added that Template to the Device settings, but it only seems to update the subtitle on "Update cached metadata on device" on that icon, whereas the series data gets updated automatically on a second connection.

The Kobo Utilities can use four more custom columns to do with reading status/info/ratings

I only connect to computer on My Books screen,

I never disconnect cable and reconnect till the My Books screen has "flashed" with an update (usually on unread or All)

About 700 bought books (over 11 years) and 6300 PD titles (going back to 2002) plus books I'm proof reading.

Note that Google Drive isn't private, because they scan it for their AI. Also it can mess up filenames.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 08:31 AM   #7
dragoworld235
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by baursak View Post
I am really overwhelmed with lots of info ...
Sorry, I was trying to be exhaustive.
With Calibre you can create/edit series + index metadata from epub.
When importing ebooks data in its database, kobo reader ignores series + index metadata.
Calibre + plugin "Kobo Touch Extended Driver" can add series + index to the reader database in a second step so the reader will use it to display, sort, search, etc.

You can import epubs already in the device into Calibre, edit the series + index metadata in the imported books as needed, then sync only these metadata to the device. (Blame kobo for making this way more difficult than it should be!)
Old 05-31-2024, 09:02 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:

Calibre + plugin "Kobo Touch Extended Driver" can add series + index to the reader database in a second step so the reader will use it to display, sort, search, etc.

That functionality is actually in the calibre supplied 'Kobo Touch Driver".

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 09:07 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, it's not Kobo's fault. The epub2 spec doesn't have series data.
Old 05-31-2024, 09:18 AM   #10
dragoworld235
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
That functionality is actually in the calibre supplied 'Kobo Touch Driver".
Looks like I have previously deactivated that plugin in favor of the "Kobo Touch Extended Driver" one as I'm using the "Send books as kepubs" feature of it.
Indeed the normal kobo driver now natively provided with Calibre should be enough for what baursak wants to do.
Old 05-31-2024, 01:01 PM   #11
baursak
Enthusiast

Quote:
Looks like I have previously deactivated that plugin in favor of the "Kobo Touch Extended Driver" one as I'm using the "Send books as kepubs" feature of it.
Indeed the normal kobo driver now natively provided with Calibre should be enough for what baursak wants to do.
no, not enough at all
- I am russian and read in Russian
- but Calibre exports files with file names (don't confuse with book title) in Latin letters
- Kovid confirmed this and said he doesn't care
- but I do care
- like all of English speaking members of this forum do care about info being in English
- please advise
Old 05-31-2024, 01:35 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by baursak View Post
no, not enough at all
- I am russian and read in Russian
- but Calibre exports files with file names (don't confuse with book title) in Latin letters
- Kovid confirmed this and said he doesn't care
- but I do care
- like all of English speaking members of this forum do care about info being in English
- please advise
If the author and metadata in the calibre library is in Cyrillic, books exported either via Send to device or Send to disk will have Cyrillic filenames. The files in the calibre library will not due to some old filesystems that do not support much beyond the ASCII code.

So if you are not looking at the files in calibre's library—which you shouldn't be doing, consider it a black box—the filenames would not be an issue.

For example, I've attached several images. One shows the calibre library entry for War and Peace, the other shows the filename as seen in the calibre library and the last shows the filename as seen when I use Save to disk to export the file.

There were a couple of calibre forks that did not sanitize the characters used when storing characters in the calibre library.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-31 103149.png
Views:	32
Size:	2.8 KB
ID:	208613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-31 103224.png
Views:	32
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	208614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-31 103324.png
Views:	34
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	208615  

Last edited by DNSB; 05-31-2024 at 01:38 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 02:45 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocenat View Post

That also requires the series information to be in the OPF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 02:47 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
And what difference does the case / character set of a filename make on a Kobo eReader that relies on its database to display books

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 02:56 PM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
And what difference does the case / character set of a filename make on a Kobo eReader that relies on its database to display books
None, as long the the filename works.

Tags
calibre, kepubify, kobo, metadata, series