Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-23-2023, 04:44 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kindle for Android needs to be online sometimes

I've been speaking with someone on Discord who is using an Android phone with Android 6.0.1 and the latest Kindle for Android app.

What is read is mostly Manga. Most are about 400MB in size and work fine when the phone is offline. But some are about 70MB and if the phone is not online, blank pages show.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07CK4Y14L is one the the problem Manga.

I hope someone can figure out what's going on. Thanks.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 06:28 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
That one is 511.125 MByte!
Maybe it's whatever DRM they are using?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2023, 07:11 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I see blank pages with fixed layout books a bit with iOS (and Scribe), and am never off line. Usually flipping pages back and forward or changing orientation fixes it. With manga you also have option for Z-order panels (double tap to invoke). Have you tried that?

I did borrow the one you reference and it was perfectly okay on my Fire HD10 (it's essentially the same as the Android app, just has text to speech and of course you can purchase things). I would try my pathetic Samsung tablet but it probably needs charging.

To speculate a little, when online it might be syncing location periodically, and maybe that somehow steps on the redraw event. But it should not persistently do this, and as I relate, I can always get the page to display by futzing a little.

Of course, there can also be actual blank pages, particularly when facing pages are part of the design (in landscape you see facing pages with some fixed layout content).

Last edited by tomsem; 03-23-2023 at 07:31 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 09:49 AM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
One of the features supported by KFX format is the ability to start reading a book while it is still being downloaded. Clicking on the book cover from the Library tab in Kindle for Android will cause that to happen.

That book is 511,125KB split over 258 KFX files. Depending on the speed of the Internet connection it could take a while to download them all. Some content will be missing if the device is put into airplane mode before all of the files are loaded.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 06:23 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
One of the features supported by KFX format is the ability to start reading a book while it is still being downloaded. Clicking on the book cover from the Library tab in Kindle for Android will cause that to happen.

That book is 511,125KB split over 258 KFX files. Depending on the speed of the Internet connection it could take a while to download them all. Some content will be missing if the device is put into airplane mode before all of the files are loaded.
Thank you for this. I'll pass this information on and hope it solves the problem.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert