Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-03-2022, 10:20 PM   #1
MMatic
MMatic began at the beginning.

Device: Computer
Calibre on Network Drive? Storage on something else then system hdd?

Hi community, what is the current status of setting up calibre and the database on a has? I am currently running it of a Mac laptop and its eaten my HDD space.. I need a solution that frees up my hdd space...
MMatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 12:04 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMatic View Post
Hi community, what is the current status of setting up calibre and the database on a has? I am currently running it of a Mac laptop and its eaten my HDD space.. I need a solution that frees up my hdd space...
An external drive or a bigger internal drive. Calibre is not compatible with a NAS.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2022, 04:01 AM   #3
MMatic
MMatic began at the beginning.

Device: Computer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
An external drive or a bigger internal drive. Calibre is not compatible with a NAS.
An external drive sounds like an option! How would you set it up on external drive? Is there a way of running it standalone of an external drive?

Is there a way of migrating to an external drive from the laptop?

What format should the drive be? (I want to use it Mac and PC)

Last edited by MMatic; 03-04-2022 at 04:06 AM.
MMatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 04:28 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Is there a way of running it standalone of an external drive?
for Windows Calibre portable.
I am not sure about Mac
Quote:
Just copy the Calibre Library to the external drive, select change library and point it to the copied directory on external drive.

Quote:
Can you read PC formatted external HD on Mac? If yes, then try copying Calibre library directory there.

You can use Calibre even when the library is on network drive (NAS). Many people do. Please note that problems with connection to the network drive and behaviour of network drive are outside of control of Calibre software, so it is not officially supported. *DO NOT* try to access the library on shared network directory from two different computers at the same time. This is one of reasons why NAS storage use for library files is discouraged.

What is especially discouraged is use of various cloud services for location of Calibre Library directory. Bad Things(TM) have happened to [the data of] some people using cloud services to store live library.

MAKE BACKUPS before doing any experiments. Preferably more than one. Make sure your backups are useable before experimenting.

What is supported and recommanded is running Calibre on one computer at home and accessing it through very well designed web interface from other computers and even tablets and phones in the household.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 10:47 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
An external drive sounds like an option! How would you set it up on external drive? Is there a way of running it standalone of an external drive?

Format NTFS (Windows likes this), Install Calibre Portable
For the MAC, Install Calibre normally, then switch to use the Library folder on the USB drive.

A MAC person might help you so the drive always will mount the same way, thus you will be able to create a Quick Switch.

Windows users can use the device manager to 'reserve a single letter: (pick 'L' or some way up there that would never be used normally). That way, the detachable drive will always land the same
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2022, 11:48 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have an external HD connected to a computer on the network. I have my Calibre libraries stored there. I have I also have my libraries backed up on a 256GB U30 A2 microSD card as well as another external HD. I've never had a problem.

I run Windows 10 or 11 (depending on which computer I'm using). I have the network drive setup as a drive letter and Calibre has no issues with it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 02:06 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have an external HD connected to a computer on the network. I have my Calibre libraries stored there. I have I also have my libraries backed up on a 256GB U30 A2 microSD card as well as another external HD. I've never had a problem.

I run Windows 10 or 11 (depending on which computer I'm using). I have the network drive setup as a drive letter and Calibre has no issues with it.
Yeah, and I've kept my libraries in Dropbox for years, also without any issues. But many people do have issues with both network drives and cloud drives. My guess is they're not careful enough or have no idea they should be careful in the first place. Still, better not to recommend it. It's easy to mess something up.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 06:50 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yeah, and I've kept my libraries in Dropbox for years, also without any issues. But many people do have issues with both network drives and cloud drives. My guess is they're not careful enough or have no idea they should be careful in the first place. Still, better not to recommend it. It's easy to mess something up.
One thing I am going to try is putting my library on a 256GB U30 A2 microSD card and see how that goes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote