Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-09-2021, 02:25 PM   #1
James Bryant
Ebook fanatic since 1962
James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Cybook3/REB1100/Kolin/iRex iLiad/JetBook & JB Mini/Onyx C67, T68, Poke
Where can I find Poke 3 instructions that I can understand?

I have a new Poke 3. When I open the built-in Neo-Reader it opens the EPUB file I have chosen but will not move beyond page 1 for about 50% of my files.

So I have installed FBReader, which I have used before. But I cannot find how to get past the welcome page and open a book, nor can I find any internal help. I can't use Internet help in the eBook as I don't have WiFi (all my computers connect by gigabit Ethernet) and so far my searches on line instruct me to do things that I do not understand, or to go to locations which do not seem to be present in my machine, and when I try to look up the terms that they use I don't understand the definitions either.

I'm sure I could, eventually, teach myself how to use a Poke 3 with FBReader - perhaps by first acquiring a doctorate in Computer Science. But this should not be necessary.

Can anyone point me at a Dummies Guide to findng how to set up Poke 3 + FBReader for reading (mostly EPUB) books without having to track down where ever more arcane settings are hidden? Please.

I didn't have this trouble with the Poke 2, nor with the Poke Pro.

Last edited by James Bryant; 08-09-2021 at 02:27 PM.
James Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 05:09 PM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
So if you can install apps on a Poke3 without Wifi can I presume that you've got ADB working and all figured out?
Maybe something is corrupted on your Poke3?
That sounds like a reasonable guess if you are having problems with two reader apps.

Have you ever used adb logcat? Do you know what an error looks like?
It's usually 20 odd lines that are indented and will have the name of the app in them.
Try opening a command prompt in Windows, running "adb logcat".
After the first torrent stops, try to go to the next page in NeoReader.
See if you can correlate your actions in NeoReader with an error block in logcat.
Select just that block (less than 100 lines!) and post it here.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2021, 05:23 AM   #3
James Bryant
Ebook fanatic since 1962
James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Cybook3/REB1100/Kolin/iRex iLiad/JetBook & JB Mini/Onyx C67, T68, Poke
ADB?

Renate
Quote:
So if you can install apps on a Poke3 without Wifi can I presume that you've got ADB working and all figured out?
Thank you for your advice.

I assume that ADB is the Android Debug Bridge. I have read the Wikipedia description of this and while I think I see what it does I do not understand most of the terms used to describe how to use it. Your advice is, I fear, equally incomprehensible to me - I can use computers, but do not talk the language very well. (FB Reader was installed by a visitor to my house who did it by some technique involving her smartphone providing temporary WiFi.)

What I am looking for are manuals for the Poke 3, Neo-Reader and FBReader which actually relate to how they behave in my hands, rather than how their authors assume that they should behave.

In particular how to find the settings I need to change - too often I follow the instructions, and the setting I need is not to be found where they say it is, or it is called something else, or does not do what I need to do.

For example, with my Poke Pro and Poke 2 I was able to set the directory addressed by tapping "Storage" not to the main root directory, but to the directory two levels down which is the root directory of my book collection - which is partitioned, successively, by letter groups (A-E, F-J, etc), letters, alpahbetical authors by surname, and then works, reviews, analyses and fanfic. I have not yet discovered how to change this setting in the Poke 3.
James Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:13 AM   #4
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Android has its own hierarchy of storage and under that is stored the hierarchy of books that is dependent on which library/reader you use.
For me, all my books are just in /sdcard/Books (with no subdirectories).

Settings are all a bit scattered because the Poke3 is using custom Onyx Settings and not the Android normal Settings. If you run a different launcher (as I do) you can access the regular Settings.

The manual for the Poke3 is here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C6j...Ge77VPEMw/view
(Found from boox.com > Support > Downloads > Poke3 > Manual)

I guess that you are copying over books with a USB cable using Windows File Explorer?
Or are you using Calibre or something?
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:56 AM   #5
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bryant View Post
I didn't have this trouble with the Poke 2, nor with the Poke Pro.
I think they are pretty much the same.

You could try alreaderx (my fave).

creator site (in russian)

direct download link for eink optimized version
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2021, 05:26 PM   #6
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ez Reader (hanlin v3)
If you tap the middle of the screen while in either the native reader or fbreader, does it bring up anything at the top or bottom? If not, it sounds like your poke3 is having issues.

Have you gone to settings and checked for updates? Could be an update will help.
hyegeek is offline   Reply With Quote