Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-18-2020, 02:18 AM   #1
Oceanslider
Oceanslider began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Do you have to made a Kobo account?

I want to set up a Kobo Clara HD for my wife and have it loaded with a few ePub using Calibre when I give it to her as a gift.

Would I have to setup an account on it to load a few of our ePub files?
Oceanslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:54 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Not if they are DRM free.
You do need at least a fake email address and wifi once to get past the welcome screen, simpler and safer than editing the database.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2020, 06:20 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanslider View Post
I want to set up a Kobo Clara HD for my wife and have it loaded with a few ePub using Calibre when I give it to her as a gift.

Would I have to setup an account on it to load a few of our ePub files?
If you want to give it to her and let her do the setup, you can plug it in and sideload some DRM free books. They will be imported once the setup is done.

If you want to completely avoid creating a Kobo account, there are instructions for updating the database to fake it. Or, you can use a fake email address as Kobo do not validate it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:05 PM   #4
Oceanslider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You do need at least a fake email address and wifi once to get past the welcome screen, simpler and safer than editing the database.
Thanks, I’m not sure she will ever need a Kobo account. I manage our epubs and can load them for her. Just that I want to give it to her the day we leave for vacation. Later she can decide if she wants a Kobo account. If she wants one later I’d assume she could anytime without resetting everything.

I did buy this with the intention that she would like to borrow library books using Overdrive, which neither of us have experience using.

Also thanks Davidfor, where do you find the instructions that you reference?
Old 05-18-2020, 02:02 PM   #5
Oceanslider

Quote:
I am pretty sure they are.
Advert
Old 05-18-2020, 09:00 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanslider View Post
Thanks, I’m not sure she will ever need a Kobo account. I manage our epubs and can load them for her. Just that I want to give it to her the day we leave for vacation. Later she can decide if she wants a Kobo account. If she wants one later I’d assume she could anytime without resetting everything.
The setup includes signing into an account. If you want to change that later, you sign out and then back in. That loses the reading status of sideloaded books, but, they will be imported again.
Quote:
I did buy this with the intention that she would like to borrow library books using Overdrive, which neither of us have experience using.
If you are planning on using the Overdrive integration, then you will need to use a Kobo account.
Quote:
Also thanks Davidfor, where do you find the instructions that you reference?
Somewhere in the forum. A search will find them. I don't keep a link to them as I think that they are pointless.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:37 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't keep a link to them as I think that they are pointless.
Because it's simpler and safer simply to use a fake email address. Kobo doesn't check it.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:25 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What's with the paranoia? I've had a Kobo account since before I got my H2O.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:00 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What's with the paranoia? I've had a Kobo account since before I got my H2O.
Certainly a real Kobo account is a minor issue compared to Facebook, Microsoft (inc their LinkedIn), Google or Amazon. I'd not worry about it. It's not like you have to give them any details / payment options unless you buy.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:57 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Certainly a real Kobo account is a minor issue compared to Facebook, Microsoft (inc their LinkedIn), Google or Amazon. I'd not worry about it. It's not like you have to give them any details / payment options unless you buy.
And if you do have a proper account at Kobo, you can buy eBooks if you want.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:27 AM   #11
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
If anyone wants to use it, your welcome to just copy my blank data base into your .Kobo directory. Disconnect/eject, and reboot the Kobo before trying to use it, (this is a 3.19 database, Kobo will want to update it before it works properly.)

https://www.transfer.sh/I52N2/KoboReader.sqlite
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:54 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
If anyone wants to use it, your welcome to just copy my blank data base into your .Kobo directory. Disconnect/eject, and reboot the Kobo before trying to use it, (this is a 3.19 database, Kobo will want to update it before it works properly.)

https://www.transfer.sh/I52N2/KoboReader.sqlite
This is still a form of paranoia. There's no need to be paranoid here. Just create an account at Kobo and register the Reader. There is nothing at all wrong with doing this.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:53 AM   #13
mirage
Zealot
mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: OnePlus 6 phone, Kobo Clara HD, Libra H2O
Does Kobo "call home" from the ereaders? Rakuten is not Facebook, Google, et. al., but they may well want user data for their own use for similar purposes. No paranoia, just wondering.
mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:15 PM   #14
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
FWIW:

https://authorize.kobo.com/terms/privacypolicy
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:15 PM   #15
mirage
Zealot
mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: OnePlus 6 phone, Kobo Clara HD, Libra H2O
Thanks for posting that. I should have looked for it. They make it pretty clear that they're tracking user activity just like so many other companies do.

Quote:
We collect Personal Information when you use or otherwise interact with the Kobo Services. For example, we collect information about how you use the Kobo Services, such as pages you view, the rate at which you consume e-content (how often and for how long), genres, authors or subject matter you prefer and searches you make or share, the ebooks or audiobooks you have liked, comments you have left and also websites you have viewed through links in the comments. We collect this information across the various devices, applications, and other tools via which you access and interact with the Kobo Services.

...We may disclose certain Personal Information with service providers, business partners or affiliates, or by selling it to third parties where such sales are compliant with applicable law. As used in this Policy, the “sale” of Personal Information refers to sharing your Personal Information with a third party for monetary or other valuable consideration, subject to any exceptions under applicable law.
Those who prefer to avoid providing an email address and/or stay offline have reason to do so if these things concern them.
mirage is offline   Reply With Quote