Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-23-2018, 02:10 PM   #1
Faeryink
Zealot
Faeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Smile Max 2 Pro monitor mode

Hello,

EDITED
PLEASE VIEW MY EXPERIENCE AS AN OBSERVATION NOT A CONCLUSION. Please read the discussion below for possible sources of variations.]

I upgraded from Onyx Box Max 2 (2 GB RAM) to the Onyx Boox Max 2 Pro Limited Edition (4 GB RAM, 64GB storage) today. Comparing the Onyx Boox Max 2 with the Onyx Boox Max 2 Pro in the monitor mode with my MacBook Pro Retina late 2013, I noticed a significant improvement in speed. There is still some lag when using the mouse but I am happier with the improvement in the quality. The screen looks less grainy.
Edited in view of comments:
From my personal observation, I feel the extra RAM may have improved the experience in the monitor mode. It is subtle but it has improved my overall experience. Overall, the Max 2 Pro is a faster e-reader (compared the performance with many apps that I use, and the video playback on youtube is decent.. I prefer black and white so this maybe down to the individual).
[EDITED
PLEASE VIEW MY EXPERIENCE AS AN OBSERVATION NOT A CONCLUSION. Please read the discussion below for possible sources of variations.]

I am really happy with my purchase and mostly going to use Max 2 Pro for all my computing needs and without getting eye strain and headaches. Thank you Onyx and Ereader Store for making this device available.

Last edited by Faeryink; 11-24-2018 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Added statement in parenthesis for clarification.
Faeryink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:27 PM   #2
sogaiu
Addict
sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Device: none
Thanks for the mini-review, much appreciated!
sogaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2018, 12:31 AM   #3
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
It doesn't make any sense.

Monitor mode doesn't use more ram, is just an hdmi input and the refresh rate is fixed by the screen technology

As for speed between apps, the base max 2 have about 1.1gb free after boot, unless you go below 300mb, it shouldn't be noticeable a speed increase between one or another as the cpu is the same and there is still plenty of ram available.

So, I'm just inclined to think you are just seeing what you want to see or that one device is updated and no the other, or lastly that the base max 2 have 0 ram when tested because you have 14 apps in the background

Just put both devices side to side and record a video so you have real data and not feeling.

extra 2gb are really neat if you install a lot of system services, root the device and multitask a lot between apps so they don't need to load again into the ram, but that's it, for 3/4 apps at the same time shouldn't be a difference.

Last edited by whopper; 11-24-2018 at 12:39 AM.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 02:53 AM   #4
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
It doesn't make any sense
There are probably firmware differences? EPD controller differences? Upgraded Monitor app?

Quote:
the refresh rate is fixed by the screen technology
Not really, in substance: from A2 you expect 8fps, but bottlenecks in the path may lower it say to six-something - real case - for example.

Last edited by mdp; 11-24-2018 at 02:58 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:02 AM   #5
Faeryink
Zealot
Faeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmos

Question

Hello
Yes one would expect that the extra RAM would not improve the monitor mode. But I have noticed an improvement in the speed, ie, there is less lag when I move the mouse and certainly when I play the video. I did not change my display configurations on my macbook pro (same settings for both ereaders).
Differences maybe arising from the firmware on the ereaders. Other factors which were not constant were:
Different HDMI cables
Max 2 had more 3rd party apps I installed via play store

I am simply sharing my observation and my thoughts. I think maybe some background processes are running faster with the extra RAM which maybe indirectly helping the monitor mode. Of course, more data is needed. I am returning my Max 2 with 2 GB today and am glad I got the Max 2 pro with 4 GB as this is what I need.

Hope to read other experiences it could be down to subtle variations in units. Thanks!!
Advert
Old 11-24-2018, 10:53 AM   #6
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
What did you do for the battery : 'Normal mode' or 'Power Save Mode' for your Max2 and Max2 Pro ?
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:35 PM   #7
Faeryink
Zealot

Smile

I ran the monitor mode in power save mode, both ereaders had at least 85% battery. I found that Max 2 Pro appeared to be less grainy and has less lag. In another test I had them plugged in to the mains and this made no difference.
I can't test the max 2 now as it has gone back to Amazon. As I said there are still a number of parameters that I did not control main one being was the HDMI cable. I really didn't undertake a serious study, so just treat my experience as an observation rather than a conclusion. I am happy with the improvement I have seen and the extra ram and storage makes this ereader more usable for me.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:59 PM   #8
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
If there's any difference I bet it's due to some additional unadvertised hardware/software changes. Max 2 pro have a new board revision, maybe it only includes higher capacity mem and mmc chips but maybe also other minor tweaks.

By the way, I recently tried to pair Max 2 with raspberry pi 3+ with no success. It works with Macbook though. Maybe it does not support the HDMI signal specification well, i.e. if the signal is slightly stronger or weaker... The new Max 2 pro might have some electrical tuning applied to the HDMI input so it "reads" the signal better?? also some people reported severe problems with getting the HDMI input to work on their Max 2, I wouldn't be surprised if two Max 2 devices put side by side would have the slightly different monitor quality with the same input signal.

Last edited by plusz; 11-24-2018 at 05:03 PM.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:37 PM   #9
eldon
eldon plays well with otherseldon plays well with otherseldon plays well with otherseldon plays well with otherseldon plays well with otherseldon plays well with otherseldon plays well with otherseldon plays well with otherseldon plays well with otherseldon plays well with otherseldon plays well with others

Device: 505
I have the Max 2 with the latest Chinese firmware updates and have noticed that my Max 2 is noticeably faster now when I am in Monitor mode with my 3 year old MacBook Pro running Parallels and windows 7. It is a much better experience for me.

Frustratingly for me, even before the new firmware, Monitor mode ran noticeably faster on for all of my other devices (Surface Pro3, Sony vaiao, Dell Optiplex 9020) than it did on the MacBookPro I bought it for.

Previously I had to use the Monitor Mod found in these forums to allow touch use. Controlling the mouse was too frustrating, especially while coding.
eldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:27 AM   #10
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon View Post
I have the Max 2 with the latest Chinese firmware updates and have noticed that my Max 2 is noticeably faster now when I am in Monitor mode with
[...]
Previously I had to use the Monitor Mod found in these forums to allow touch use. Controlling the mouse was too frustrating, especially while coding.
So (independently on tablet hardware) it must be the Monitor application or some parts of the firmware it uses? Good. I still have to try.

Nonetheless, touch is a very useful interface, independently on other controls like mouse keyboard frown and vocal commands, and Onyx should attempt integrating a touch interface in the features. You have an installed hardware touchscreen, it is anyway a pity not using it.

BTW: I also modified the original to provide a quick access to commands like "full screen refresh" and "change mode". Were they re-implemented by Onyx?
Old 11-27-2018, 08:16 AM   #11
Faeryink
Zealot

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
So (independently on tablet hardware) it must be the Monitor application or some parts of the firmware it uses? Good. I still have to try.

Nonetheless, touch is a very useful interface, independently on other controls like mouse keyboard frown and vocal commands, and Onyx should attempt integrating a touch interface in the features. You have an installed hardware touchscreen, it is anyway a pity not using it.

BTW: I also modified the original to provide a quick access to commands like "full screen refresh" and "change mode". Were they re-implemented by Onyx?
The monitor version is 1.0 on the Max 2 Pro with 4gb ram (on both firmwares 1.9.3? and on 2.0). I upgraded the firmware by changing the language to Chinese and after the update changed it back to English. So the picture quality looks better again and my boyfriend thought so too. Let's say I am really happy with the new firmware and the extra ram and storage. I watch lots of cartoons from the eighties, pingu and spongebob they look nice.

Regarding differences in the monitor app control ie., the one on Max 2 or the new model. Nor do I see a change in the monitor mode after updating to firmware 2.0. Pressing the physical menu button or touching the screen brings up refresh rotation. I thinks its the default settings.

I hope to try the mod you made somepoint soon. Thanks!!
Old 11-27-2018, 08:26 AM   #12
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post

how? Mind you to share?
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:28 AM   #13
Faeryink
Zealot

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon View Post
I have the Max 2 with the latest Chinese firmware updates and have noticed that my Max 2 is noticeably faster now when I am in Monitor mode with my 3 year old MacBook Pro running Parallels and windows 7. It is a much better experience for me.

Frustratingly for me, even before the new firmware, Monitor mode ran noticeably faster on for all of my other devices (Surface Pro3, Sony vaiao, Dell Optiplex 9020) than it did on the MacBookPro I bought it for.

Yes, I also upgraded the firmware to 2.0 on my Max 2 pro and after few days of running it I have noticed that the picture quality is better. I am using my Max 2 pro with my macbook pro in the mirror mode. I put a microfiber screen protector on the retina screen and stuck my onyx max boox 2 pro in front of it with whitetac at the bottom. Manages everything for me except Netflix (Needs HiDPi mode). I am glad that the firmware upgrade has helped you too!
Old 11-27-2018, 10:54 AM   #14
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeryink View Post
The monitor version is 1.0 on the Max 2 Pro with 4gb ram (on both firmwares 1.9.3? and on 2.0). I upgraded the firmware [...] the picture quality looks better
This may mean that the HDMI publishes a correct resolution of 2200x1650 instead of the past, reduced resolution of 2104x1560, which forced a blurred rendering.
A resolution on the desktop which is the same of that of the display will render graphics as crisp as the desktop operating system is set for. Enlarging graphics forcibly blurs it.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:55 AM   #15
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
how? Mind you to share?
...Shared like all the rest I shared here... That one is of course in the very long "Monitor" thread...