Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-11-2016, 02:09 PM   #1
jmw082
jmw082 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for Android
Gmail password working, then failing

I set up an application specific password for Gmail (required because I have two-step verification enabled for my Gmail account), and the password works for Calibre, but the next day, it fails and I have to revoke my password and create a new one. I can tell from the error message that the password is the issue.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 43, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 130, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 135, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 617, in login
SMTPAuthenticationError: (535, '5.7.8 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at\n5.7.8 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/14257 t133sm4817360ywe.54 - gsmtp')

So again, I do a new password, and it works for a day, then fails. My computer remains on with Calibre open (as I have it as a server).
jmw082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:50 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
When I read https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en I see
Quote:
Every App password is only used once. But don't worry, you can always generate a new App password whenever you need one, even for a device or application you've authorized before
I take that to mean it's a one use password.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2016, 07:49 PM   #3
jmw082
jmw082 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for Android
App password is permanent

"Most of the time, you’ll only have to enter an App password once per app or device, so don’t worry about memorizing it."

For example, I have Thunderbird email application on my PC. I do not have to create a new password to access my gmail through Thunderbird each time I use Thunderbird. This issue only has come up for Calibre.
jmw082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:28 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think you will find that apps like Thunderbird contain support for the security being used by Gmail (I sense that during the initial authentication a token is applied by Gmail to the application and look subsequent authentications the token is exchanged) and calibre does not contain special support.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:51 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Gmail is an email monopoly play disguised as a free service. Just use GMX or Hotmail or pretty much any other free email service that properly supports the SMTP standard.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
email, gmail, password