Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
Deleting all/multiple books

Is the only way to delete multiple/all books by going on my documents folder of the kindle on my computer? Is it safe to "ctrl-a" in documents folder and deleting all content in it? There are no program files in it?

Or is there a way to delete books using calibre, if books were added using calibre?

Also if I send the books already sent to device are they over written or added as a new book?

Last edited by Noughty; 12-11-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
The best way to remove all books and documents is to reset the device to factory defaults.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2011, 06:02 AM   #3
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

But won't it delete registration or some other settings? Will it ONLY delete the books?
Old 12-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What other settings? There are only a few options in the settings, like saving annotations and viewing popular highlights.

It may deregister the unit, but re-registering it just takes a moment.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You will lose your collections, of course, if you have any. You'd have to recreate those.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
guspasho
Connoisseur
guspasho began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Don't attempt to delete them from the directory manually. I've had problems where they remain indexed and you can't get rid of the listing short of factory resetting the device. But I'm using a Touch, which has very different firmware from the others. If you want to delete all of them I'd just factory reset the device.

Reregistering is easy, but I'm not sure what else besides notes that you might want to save, nor how to do that if you do. Also, if you paid to get the ads removed, you won't have to pay again. I think the device remembers, but it may have to do with re-registering. I didn't pay close attention when I did it.
guspasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You will lose your collections, of course, if you have any. You'd have to recreate those.
Resetting the Kindle does not remove your collections from Amazon's servers. When the Kindle is re-registered the collections reappear.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #8
Noughty
Addict

I have nothing from amazon yet. I buy only from very small publishers. So I don't think any of the collections are on amazon. I can easily recreate them since I created them with calibre plug in.

Will have to reset probably. I wish there was a normal way to delete a lot of books.

You really can't delete them even when plugged in computer from documents folder? I'd like some plug in which allowed deleting books easily as easy as deleting the collections.
It's just that reseting to factory settings is something from a scary movie or something, you usually don't do it on your devices, since you lose everything.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:51 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noughty View Post
It's just that reseting to factory settings is something from a scary movie or something, you usually don't do it on your devices, since you lose everything.
Nonsense. It is a basic feature, that many people - including myself - have had to use when their Kindles are not functioning properly.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:26 AM   #10
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
You really can't delete them even when plugged in computer from documents folder? I'd like some plug in which allowed deleting books easily as easy as deleting the collections.
You could always try deleting them manually with the Kindle connected to your PC. guspasho only said they had problems with the Kindle Touch, which they sorted with a factory reset anyway. So you could try it, see if you have any problems, and if not, fine. But if you do, then do the factory reset?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:01 AM   #11
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Since you use Calibre, plug your Kindle in, click on Device, and then select the books you want to delete and press the DEL key.

But really, if you want to get rid of all of them? Reset to factory defaults.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #12
Noughty
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Since you use Calibre, plug your Kindle in, click on Device, and then select the books you want to delete and press the DEL key.
This won't delete them from calibre? Just from the device?
Old 12-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #13
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
As long as you follow what CRussel posted, once you have Calibre loaded up and your Kindle connected, if you click on "Device" tab/button that appears next to "Library", the screen then shows you what books you have on your Kindle. Delete from that screen and they are deleted from the Kindle, it won't touch the book in your Calibre Library.

Try it out yourself with one book. Delete one from the "Device" and then check to see it's still there when you click the "Library" tab.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:43 AM   #14
Noughty
Addict

Will try. I want to reconvert all my books to add metadata as first page, that's why I am asking. Now I am wondering if books uploaded through calibre won't be just replaced if I add them again after convert. I wonder how it is with pdfs, if I convert the pdf book and add it, will it replace the pdf in kindle or will I have two.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:48 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Will try. I want to reconvert all my books to add metadata as first page, that's why I am asking. Now I am wondering if books uploaded through calibre won't be just replaced if I add them again after convert. I wonder how it is with pdfs, if I convert the pdf book and add it, will it replace the pdf in kindle or will I have two.
Why not just try it and see? That's probably quicker than asking the question here!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote