Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM   #1
RequisiteAngle
RequisiteAngle began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Factory reset/rollback kindle in case of failed jailbreaking step?

How to reset/rollback kindle in case of failed jailbreaking step?

I'm in the process of jailbreaking my unused Kindle Scribe on firmware version 5.16.1. Since I cannot bypass the registration process, I am stuck in the last registration step, which is forcing a firmware upgrade. If this upgrade completes, the firmware version would be too high for languagebreak to work. I want to know if there are ways to roll back jailbreaking steps in case they are unsuccessful, or are there instances where steps are irriversible? I would like to be able to roll back to factory settings with firmware 5.16.1 when all else fails.

Specifically, I am trying to follow this guide found here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=484, but some parts are not clear to me. Namely:

It seems like steps 4 and 5 in that post refers to steps 2 to 17 in the Jailbreak section under the thread's OP, and then the original step 18 no longer applies?

In step 6 of that post, I don't know what the two hotfixes are. I assume Marek's is the one referred to in Post Jailbreak step 2 in the OP (ie. Update_hotfix_languagebreak___.bin), but I couldn't find any reference to NiLuJe's hotfix. Are both installed the same way (copying the file to root directory? Maybe Marek's hotfix refers to "update_hotfix_languagebreak" hotfix from LanguageBreak, and NiLuJe's hotfix is JailBreak-1.16.N-FW-5.x-hotfix.zip? Am I correct in that this is following cordon's post here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=431?

The bottom line is that I want to be able to stay at firmware 5.16.1 if any step fails.

I would really appreciate any help.
RequisiteAngle is offline   Reply With Quote