Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-02-2019, 04:12 PM   #1
Spectralis
Enthusiast
Spectralis began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max 2
Boox Note Pro vs Likebook Mimas

I've searched forums and Youtube for comparisons between Boox Note Pro and the Likebook Mimas but came up empty. I'm really surprised that no one has compared them in a review yet. Has anyone had any experience of using both and, if so, what are your conclusions? I'm particularly interested in:

1) Screen durability for writing (Note Pro glass vs Mimas screen).
2) Ease and reliability of PDF annotation in both.
3) Speed/Power (4GB vs 2GB Ram and CPU differences).
4) Quality of front light in both.

The Note Pro (including case) is £160/$210 more expensive than the Mimas (including case) here in the UK. Is it worth the extra cost? I own the Boox Max 2 and Likebook Mars and like them both.
Spectralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:04 PM   #2
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
It will be hard to find someone who actually purchased both devices in order to be able to compare them. These are not exactly cheap, to begin with.

While not owning any of both either, i am using the predecessor of the Mimas, the Likebook Note, and used Onyx Boox devices before. Based on my limited experience with both, i'd rather suggest going with Onyx Boox, no matter what.

Hardware features are nice and all, but if the included software and the expected support are not able to hold the promise of such an expensive device, then it all quickly boils down to Onyx Boox.

Likebook appears not to be able to deliver software wise, the Note i use would hardly be capable for it's intended use without 3rd party software (koreader, goldendict, Librera).

During the same time people in this forum keep speculating about firmware upgrades, enhancements, and bug fixes by Likebook, Onyx Boox has already published multiple updates and fixes. That alone is worth preferring Onyx Boox.

Last edited by orebmur; 05-02-2019 at 06:07 PM. Reason: typo correction
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2019, 04:49 AM   #3
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by orebmur View Post
Likebook appears not to be able to deliver software wise, the Note i use would hardly be capable for it's intended use without 3rd party software (koreader, goldendict, Librera).
I have noticed the same about any and all ereader devices: If you use them even for a slightly more serious purpose, you cannot get by without third-party software. So if this is the only issue, it is hardly an issue. The main issue will be if your needed third-party software works on the device you happened to acquire.

To the OP: How is note-taking on Likebook Mars? I would imagine the most important point between Onyx Boox Note Pro and Likebook Mimas is the note-taking feature. The difference would likely be similar as between Max2 and Likebook Mars. If there is no substantial difference, I would decide based on other differences.

Last edited by mobama; 05-05-2019 at 04:54 AM.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:43 PM   #4
Spectralis
Enthusiast
Spectralis began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max 2
Thanks for the feedback. I bought the Mimas in the end and software wise it's a bit ropy. The PDF reader exports corrupt file atm so it basically unusable. I own the Max 2 where the note taking and PDF annotation are pretty flawless in comparison.

The one feature I like about the Mimas is that PDF annotation is immediate unlike the Max 2 where writing on PDF's is a two step process. Not a deal breaker but a plus for the Mimas. Note taking on the Mimas is also very intuitive but has less options than Onyx. There are also speakers, up to 256GB external storage and hardware buttons which I prefer to none on the Note Pro. I find the Mimas is slightly snappier than the Max 2 but I've not compared it to the Note Pro. The Mimas screen is like the Max 2 screen (except the Mimas has a light) so it feels very familiar. I prefer the Mimas pen because it's chunkier and I find the button on the Max 2 pen gets in the way. The pens are interchangeable by the way.

For a list of features and problems with the Mimas read the last couple of pages of the Mimas thread in the Boyue section.

Last edited by Spectralis; 05-11-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Spectralis is offline   Reply With Quote