Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-30-2017, 05:02 AM   #1
betelguese
Enthusiast
betelguese began at the beginning.

Device: none
Looking for reading device pdf+djvu+epub+mobi

Hi, I'm looking for a 12+ inch cheap device that will be able to display PDF, DJVU, EPUB and MOBI files for reading, mostly college science textbooks. On the expensive side, are the Ipad Pro and Surface Pro good candidates? Thanks for your suggestions

Last edited by betelguese; 06-30-2017 at 05:11 AM.
betelguese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:33 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
12+ inches and cheap don't really go together.

But perhaps the Sony DPT-RP1 might work for you, if you're willing to convert all your reading material into PDF format.

It also looks like it might make a good note taker.

On the cheap side, perhaps the Amazon 10" Fire tablet would be more what you're looking for? Although I can't see it at the Amazon.com store at the moment, only at the UK store.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2017, 11:47 AM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I would suggest that you look at the Onyx Boox and PocketBook subforums and settle for a 9.7" device. Anything larger will not be cheap.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:53 AM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Please define cheap. Really need a dollar amount.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:35 PM   #5
betelguese
Enthusiast

Hi all, and thanks for your replies. The problem with most tablets, like the Amazon Fire or Sony DPT is that they do not support all formats, for example the Amazon Fire only azw3 and pdf, Sony only PDF, and the conversion from djvu, epub and mobi to pdf is not perfect, specially for science textbooks that have formulas, graphs, etc, that's why I was looking to a Windows or iOS platforms that are more open (i.e. not proprietary). Also, the 12+ inch display is a must, I need screen real estate for ease of reading/studying
By "cheap" I mean sub $500, but if the cheap option is not possible, I would be willing to spend more on a device that satisfies my needs.
I like the Sony tablet you suggest, only if it can be hacked to accept all formats
Advert
Old 06-30-2017, 04:40 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betelguese View Post
Hi all, and thanks for your replies. The problem with most tablets, like the Amazon Fire or Sony DPT is that they do not support all formats, for example the Amazon Fire only azw3 and pdf, Sony only PDF, and the conversion from djvu, epub and mobi to pdf is not perfect, specially for science textbooks that have formulas, graphs, etc, that's why I was looking to a Windows or iOS platforms that are more open (i.e. not proprietary). Also, the 12+ inch display is a must, I need screen real estate for ease of reading/studying
By "cheap" I mean sub $500, but if the cheap option is not possible, I would be willing to spend more on a device that satisfies my needs.
I like the Sony tablet you suggest, only if it can be hacked to accept all formats
Are you sure you need 12 inch for primarily reading? I would think one that big would cause hand strain.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:52 PM   #7
betelguese
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Are you sure you need 12 inch for primarily reading? I would think one that big would cause hand strain.
No problem, I can use a stand if need be, and also I'll be studying with the tablet on a table at times.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:06 PM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
No problem, I can use a stand if need be, and also I'll be studying with the tablet on a table at times.
I wish you well in your studies.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:41 PM   #9
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I think your best bet would be to look for a used Surface Pro 3 or 4, or a used iPad Pro 12.9, from Swappa or eBay. You should be able to find one in very good condition at a savings over a new one. Another option is to buy a refurbished iPad Pro from Apple (usually 15% discount, but the full new warranty). It's possible to get a device in almost-new condition at a less-than-new price. If you'd rather go for a new one, then be ready to spend the bucks.

As far as whether you should choose the Surface Pro or the iPad Pro, that depends on any other uses you may want from it. But for the uses you've outlined, either one will serve you well.

Both my iPad Pro 9.7 and my MacBook Pro were bought refurbished. I'd swear they were both new. Both have served me very well.

Last edited by downeaster59; 06-30-2017 at 05:43 PM.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 02:19 AM   #10
betelguese
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Cinisajoy, one more thing I forgot to add, I will be using the tablet for studying science textbooks, hence screen real estate is important since there's formulae, graphs, etc that you need to check, consult other pages while you're studying, etc, it's not the same usage as reading a novel with pure text in which the experience is linear, that's the reason of a 12+ inch screen, in fact if I had 18, 20 or 30 inches would be better

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
I think your best bet would be to look for a used Surface Pro 3 or 4, or a used iPad Pro 12.9, from Swappa or eBay. You should be able to find one in very good condition at a savings over a new one. Another option is to buy a refurbished iPad Pro from Apple (usually 15% discount, but the full new warranty). It's possible to get a device in almost-new condition at a less-than-new price. If you'd rather go for a new one, then be ready to spend the bucks.

As far as whether you should choose the Surface Pro or the iPad Pro, that depends on any other uses you may want from it. But for the uses you've outlined, either one will serve you well.

Both my iPad Pro 9.7 and my MacBook Pro were bought refurbished. I'd swear they were both new. Both have served me very well.
Thanks Downeaster59. I really like the Sony e-ink tablet, the new 13.3, but it's only limited to PDF plus it's geared more towards a niche market, if I ever want to sell it it might be really difficult. A Surface or Ipad on the other hand is almost risk free financially, since if for whatever reason I'm not satisfied I can always sell it and recover my expense. On the other hand I never suffered from eye strain, I work many hours in front of a LED monitor without issues.
Which of the two would you say has a better display (contrast, brightness, etc) for reading, the Surface Pro or the Ipad Pro? Thanks again.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:50 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Your cheapest option is a 9.7" iPad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:21 AM   #12
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:

Thanks Downeaster59. I really like the Sony e-ink tablet, the new 13.3, but it's only limited to PDF plus it's geared more towards a niche market, if I ever want to sell it it might be really difficult. A Surface or Ipad on the other hand is almost risk free financially, since if for whatever reason I'm not satisfied I can always sell it and recover my expense. On the other hand I never suffered from eye strain, I work many hours in front of a LED monitor without issues.
Which of the two would you say has a better display (contrast, brightness, etc) for reading, the Surface Pro or the Ipad Pro? Thanks again.
I don't have a Surface Pro. I used one briefly a couple of years ago - a Surface Pro 3. So, it would be hard for me to give you a fair reply based on experience. The Surface Pro 3 had a fine display, and I suspect that the following two generations are better still. I can say that the iPad Pro's display is better than that of the Surface Pro 3. I don't know how it compares to the newer Surface Pro models. Maybe someone else can help you here.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:13 AM   #13
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
One other factor to consider (which might or might not matter to you) between the Surface and Ipad, is that the Surface can natively run the FULL version of almost any Windows programs you might be running (including Excel, Powerpoint etc -- only restriction being RAM and CPU power). I have cursed various Android/I-thing devices over the years where I had dumb down or convert files to get them to work between laptop and other devices. Can't comment on screen differences, sorry.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Cinisajoy, one more thing I forgot to add, I will be using the tablet for studying science textbooks, hence screen real estate is important since there's formulae, graphs, etc that you need to check, consult other pages while you're studying, etc, it's not the same usage as reading a novel with pure text in which the experience is linear, that's the reason of a 12+ inch screen, in fact if I had 18, 20 or 30 inches would be better

I know our resident academic here uses the 9.7 IPad.
If you are concerned about your investment, that is the one I would go for. Anything bigger doesn't have as big of a market. 9.7 is a good size for technical books.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:43 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
One other factor to consider (which might or might not matter to you) between the Surface and Ipad, is that the Surface can natively run the FULL version of almost any Windows programs you might be running (including Excel, Powerpoint etc -- only restriction being RAM and CPU power). I have cursed various Android/I-thing devices over the years where I had dumb down or convert files to get them to work between laptop and other devices. Can't comment on screen differences, sorry.
As for dumbing down, you don't have to if you find an appropriate app for reading eBooks. Bluefire doesn't need dining down of ePub but you have to do most of what you want in CSS. Marvin is pretty good but not perfect. There are others, but you have to spend time experimenting. You do have more eBook app issues with Android then iOS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote