Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-02-2022, 02:35 PM   #1
Gumdropcat
Gumdropcat began at the beginning.

Device: pw3
Exclamation I'm trying to decide if I should switch to a Kobo Aura 2 or stay on my KPW3

I want to jailbreak my device so I can download books I can't find on the official amazon store. My pw3 is currently on ver. 5.12.2.2 and from what I've seen on this forum is that it is impossible to jailbreak version 5.12.2.2 so I was wondering if I should switch to a Kobo or stick with the pw3.
Gumdropcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 02:52 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumdropcat View Post
I want to jailbreak my device so I can download books I can't find on the official amazon store. My pw3 is currently on ver. 5.12.2.2 and from what I've seen on this forum is that it is impossible to jailbreak version 5.12.2.2 so I was wondering if I should switch to a Kobo or stick with the pw3.
If you take a look at Open Sesame! (AKA., The New & Improved JailBreak Index) which seems to allow jailbreaking firmware from 5.10.3 to 5.13.3.

Personally, I feel that Kobo offers better calibre integration for series, collections, displaying covers on the sleep screen, etc. but if you can continue to use your PW3, why not give it a try.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2022, 03:28 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
You don't need to jailbreak to read non-Amazon books on a Kindle. You just need Calibre and the de-DRM plugin.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 08:18 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
When you say Kobo Aura 2, if you mean the Kobo Aura Edition 2, the screen will be a step down from the Paperwhite 3. If you decide to switch to Kobo, at least switch to a Kobo Clara.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 04:02 PM   #5
Gumdropcat
Gumdropcat began at the beginning.

Device: pw3
Thank you for the information
Gumdropcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert