Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-17-2024, 04:36 PM   #1
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Variable fonts

I am attempting to embed the Quicksand font into an epub3 file, to use on headings and the title page.
https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Quicksand

I note that it is a "Variable" font which contains all the font styles in a single file.

When using it in the epub3 on a Libra2, the styling defaults to "Light" instead of the needed "Bold" and I cannot access any heavier modes.

Is this because the Libra2 does not handle variable fonts?
Surprisingly I couldn't find an answer here on the forum or the fonts wiki page.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 05:17 PM   #2
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
I am attempting to embed the Quicksand font into an epub3 file, to use on headings and the title page.
https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Quicksand

I note that it is a "Variable" font which contains all the font styles in a single file.

When using it in the epub3 on a Libra2, the styling defaults to "Light" instead of the needed "Bold" and I cannot access any heavier modes.

Is this because the Libra2 does not handle variable fonts?
Surprisingly I couldn't find an answer here on the forum or the fonts wiki page.
Not all devices support variable fonts. But to set the bold style, try:

font-weight: 800;

If you want normal weight, try:

font-weight: 400;

And if you want to set a "light" weight, then try:

font-weight: 300;

Maybe there is a font definition that is overwritting your new style. If the above doesn't work, try adding the !important sufix.

Kobo Libra should support variable fonts; try with .kepub extension instead of .epub.

Last edited by RbnJrg; 05-17-2024 at 05:20 PM.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2024, 06:59 PM   #3
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks @RbnJrg
I have tried both the normal "Bold" and a weight number. While both work in the Editor viewer, they don't show in the Libra 2.

I noticed that when I added @font-face in the stylesheet, Calibre automatically defaulted to the "light" weight.

PHP Code:
@font-face {

srcurl(OEBPS/Quicksand-Light.otf);

font-family"Quicksand Light";

font-weight300;

font-stylenormal;

font-stretchnormal;
  } 
But if I try and edit the font-weight to "bold" or 800, then the checkers in Calibre have a fit and it still shows as Light in Libra 2.

I'll try the !important suffix.
Old 05-17-2024, 07:38 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thanks @RbnJrg
I have tried both the normal "Bold" and a weight number. While both work in the Editor viewer, they don't show in the Libra 2.

I noticed that when I added @font-face in the stylesheet, Calibre automatically defaulted to the "light" weight.

PHP Code:
@font-face {

srcurl(OEBPS/Quicksand-Light.otf);

font-family"Quicksand Light";

font-weight300;

font-stylenormal;

font-stretchnormal;
  } 
But if I try and edit the font-weight to "bold" or 800, then the checkers in Calibre have a fit and it still shows as Light in Libra 2.

I'll try the !important suffix.
There is a better solution that works. In the ZIP file for Quicksand from the link you posted is a directory titles static. It contains the following fonts...

Quicksand-Bold.ttf
Quicksand-Light.ttf
Quicksand-Medium.ttf
Quicksand-Regular.ttf
Quicksand-SemiBold.ttf

Just pick the ones you want to embed based ont he weight of the font.

This is how you do the CSS for the fonts.

Code:
@font-face {
  font-family: Quicksand;
  font-weight: bold;
  font-style: normal;
  src: url(../fonts/Quicksand-Bold.ttf);
}

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-17-2024 at 07:43 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 08:14 PM   #5
Karellen
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is a better solution that works. In the ZIP file for Quicksand from the link you posted is a directory titles static. It contains the following fonts...

Quicksand-Bold.ttf
Quicksand-Light.ttf
Quicksand-Medium.ttf
Quicksand-Regular.ttf
Quicksand-SemiBold.ttf

Just pick the ones you want to embed based ont he weight of the font.
Oh, geez. I feel like such an idiot. I just extracted the Quicksand_VariableFont_wght.ttf file. I didn't even look in the Static folder as I just thought it contained some publishers documents. Teach me to not be curious and not poke around!!

Issue solved. Thanks @JSWolf
Advert
Old 05-17-2024, 09:15 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Oh, geez. I feel like such an idiot. I just extracted the Quicksand_VariableFont_wght.ttf file. I didn't even look in the Static folder as I just thought it contained some publishers documents. Teach me to not be curious and not poke around!!

Issue solved. Thanks @JSWolf
You are very welcome.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote