Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-27-2011, 06:47 AM   #1
Stratogirl
Stratogirl began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Unhappy Kindle 3 - Center justification??

I finally got my Kindle and have been using it for a couple of weeks now.
I've been reading a book and everything was ok but today something weird happened.

I turned the Kindle on to continue reading and the text was all center justified.
Until a few minutes ago it was left justified.

I checked other books and they are all correctly left justified. Only the one that I am currently reading became center justified.

Did I press some keyboard shortcut that changes text justification by chance?
Stratogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
If you haven't unlocked left justification on your Kindle, you connot have done this yourself. (or at least I connot on 3.0.3) Some books are simply formated with left or center justification and sometimes even with the justification unlocked, you connot change this without reformating it first. Also, if it's DRM'd you connot to so without removing the DRM first.

You did say that at first this particular text had left justification. It might be that the pages before this particular point in the book was indeed left justificatied, but then it might have changed to center justification at this point in the book. Try to go back in the book and see if this is indeed the case. If so, then it might be bad formating on the publisher's side.

Also, try to unlock justification on your Kindle. See link below:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99661

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 05-27-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
Stratogirl

Of course I have gone back and forth in the book and it was all center justified. I tried other books and they were left justified. I came back to the book I was reading and it was center. I tried putting it on sleep mode and on again. I tried to restart by moving the switch right and holding for several seconds and booting up again and nothing.

And now it went back to normal. All center justified.
I didnt do anything except putting it on sleep mode and leaving for the few minutes since I posted the thread.
Now I turned it on and it is left justified...

I will try the justification unlock later when I'm home from work.

Thank you.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratogirl View Post
Of course I have gone back and forth in the book and it was all center justified. I tried other books and they were left justified. I came back to the book I was reading and it was center. I tried putting it on sleep mode and on again. I tried to restart by moving the switch right and holding for several seconds and booting up again and nothing.

I didnt do anything except putting it on sleep mode and leaving for the few minutes since I posted the thread.

Thank you.
LOL, weird indeed. I haven't encountered anything like this before, I must say. Maybe someone else has.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 05-27-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool restart

Quote:

Thank you.
if anything odd happens concerning most any computing device (kindle included) a restart (reboot) is usually a good bet to fix the problem.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Go back to the Kindle home-screen, then use Windows Explorer to delete the ".mbp" file associated with the book. Then re-open the book; you'll be back at the start, and will have lost any bookmarks you put in the book, but I suspect that it'll be OK again.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
Stratogirl

I have already tried a reboot and nothing changed.
But as I said, I put it in sleep mode for about half an hour and when I turned it on again it was all back to normal.

Thank you.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #8
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool 2nd restart

Quote:
But as I said, I put it in sleep mode for about half an hour and when I turned it on again it was all back to normal.

Thank you.
first off, harryt's suggestion is excellent. but i feel the need to mention that sometimes a second restart is necessary.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
Kenneth_irl
Addict

Quote:

Thank you.
We agree that this problem is limited to this particular piece of text, yes? If so then I doubt a reset/factory reset make much sense in the first place. Try what HarryT mentioned.

Quote:

Thank you.
Did you try to unlock justification?

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 05-27-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #10
Kenneth_irl
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
And on some rare occasions even a 3rd restart is good...
How can more than one reset make any logical sense, guys? There would have to be some random element involved then, I think. Like an unstable core processor, bad memory chip, ect. I don't think that is the case here, though.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 05-27-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #11
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool factory reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_irl View Post
We agree that this problem is limited to this particular piece of text, yes? If so then I doubt a reset/factory reset make much sense in the first place. Try what HarryT mentioned.

Did you try to unlock justification?
factory reset shoud not be mentioned in the same breath with a restart. factory resets destroy data!!
Old 05-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #12
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool can't hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_irl View Post
How can more than one reset make any logical sense, guys? There would have to be some random element involved then, I think. Like an unstable core processor, bad memory chip, ect. I don't think that is the case here, though.
can't tell you why, but it sometimes works and it can't hurt.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:39 PM   #13
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
I had a book center itself like that, once, a very long time ago (maybe even on my 1st gen Kindle). A reboot (from the menu) fixed it.

very strange....
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:50 PM   #14
Kenneth_irl
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
factory reset shoud not be mentioned in the same breath with a restart. factory resets destroy data!!
I can at least comfort you, sir, with the fact that I did all the cleansing rituals for my soul after making that dirty, dirty post. Also, I can assure you that no Kindles were harmed during the process of typing said post.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #15
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
And on some rare occasions even a 3rd restart is good...
Then why not restart is 100 times?

I completely agree with 1x restart. 2x restart on rare occasions, but 3x restarts is ridiculous!
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote