Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-15-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
neilm2
Enthusiast
neilm2 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Sony Reader
Cool Getting Red Sox news in the morning

I have a Sony Reader. I'm also part of Red Sox nation, living in Phildadelphia. (Go ahead and boo.) My morning routine is to get on my PC, surf to Boston news sites, and copy/paste the Red Sox stories into MS Word, which I then save as a .rtf doc, and copy over to the Sony Reader to read at breakfast.

Yeah, it sounds like a pain but I have it down to a 5 minute rote task.

I'm wondering if there's an easier way for Kindle owners. Can you just surf over to newspaper Web sites using the Kindle?

UPDATE: I just read on another thread that the Kindle's "experimental" browser reads mobile sites. Sounds like I could surf to sites like... http://mobile.boston.com to get my sports.

Last edited by neilm2; 06-15-2008 at 07:56 PM.
neilm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
Using the Kindle, you can subscribe (for a fee) to the following red Soxs blogs and get updates every morning:

1. Over the Monster (Red Sox) by SportsBlogs Nation (Kindle Edition) - Blog Subscription
Buy: $0.99

2. Cincinnati Reds Blog by Cincinnati Reds Blog (Kindle Edition) - Blog Subscription

3. Red Reporter (Reds) by SportsBlogs Nation (Kindle Edition) - Blog Subscription

These are blogs that are probably free using a regular browser, but when you "subscribe" they are delivered to your Kindle every morning. The Kindle also comes with an extreeeeeemely basic web browser (even when you use the "advance" default) and if any of those blogs had a mobile-ready version you could surf over yourself. You could also use Google on the Kindle to get overnight news stories.

I don't use my web features very often at all because of how slow and clunky it is, nor do I subscribe to any blogs (I spend enough time on a computer during the day that I get my fill of news and blogs). But it can be done, and a lot of people who commute or spend time flying the various versions of Air Cattle use it and say it's okay.
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2008, 10:17 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
However, for the Over the Monster (Red Sox) by SportsBlogs Nation blog, probably Claibre's web2lrf might do to download it and convert to LRF fairly easily.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:48 AM   #4
neilm2
Enthusiast
neilm2 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Sony Reader
Thanks for the tips. Sounds like I'll have to find another justification to get a Kindle in addition to my Sony Reader. I'll keep looking.
neilm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:23 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Of course, have you tried Calibre to download and convert your feed into LRF?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Just did a little test with the new version of the RSS feature in Feedbooks. I've created a Red Sox newspaper with 2 blogs. Took around 5s to generate a file. I've included the example in Mobipocket (Kindle, Cybook, iLiad), PDF (template for the Sony Reader) and ePub (new standard, will be supported by the PRS-505).
There's various links to directly update inside the Mobipocket file but they won't work for the moment (the feature is not public yet).
Attached Files
File Type: mobi Red Sox (6-25).mobi (47.8 KB, 304 views)
File Type: pdf Red Sox (6-25).pdf (226.3 KB, 396 views)
File Type: epub Red Sox (6-25).epub (51.4 KB, 358 views)
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote