Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-26-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
Byzantius
Mobile Tech
Byzantius began at the beginning.

Device: Asus 1005PE, Pocket Edge, PSP3000
Travel Charger?

I am going to sunny Europe soon where they use 220v. Does the PE charger work with that voltage or do I need an adapter?
Byzantius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
syclone
Zealot
syclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge iPhone 4S IPad 1 iPad 2 Nook Touch 4 Palm Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byzantius View Post
I am going to sunny Europe soon where they use 220v. Does the PE charger work with that voltage or do I need an adapter?
The charger is made to operate a 110 - 240 volts. All you will need is a socket adapter. Radio Shack sells a kit. Don't buy the one with a transformer. You don't need it.
syclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
I assume the PE charger is similar to the EE charger, in which case you only need a plug adapter as syclone says, or depending where you are going you could just buy a replacement lead that will fit most sockets over here, available in most super markets - that assumes the PE charger has a 2 pin plug in power lead as the EE.

Most chargers for electronic equipment are of the universal type - they work on any voltage from 100 to 240 as long as it is AC. Hint: read the label they have on them.

One other thing, average voltage here is 230v 50Hz so if you must have a transformer type of converter you must get one designed for 50Hz otherwise it will over heat - I've seen several that have burned out because the transformer core was too small.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
The rule of thumb I've heard is if the cord contains a "brick", it contains its own transformer and all you need to do is make sure you have the proper adapter to fit into the local plug. The "brick" will do the rest. So for example, if you bring say a little coffee grinder to Paris and plug it in to just an adapter to grind coffee, you WILL see sparks.

Of course, read the thing. But I generally go by the "brick" rule.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
fgruber
Academic
fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Plus
I tried charging both EE and PE in europe with no problem. Just need the socket adapter
fgruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
syclone
Zealot
syclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge iPhone 4S IPad 1 iPad 2 Nook Touch 4 Palm Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
The rule of thumb I've heard is if the cord contains a "brick", it contains its own transformer and all you need to do is make sure you have the proper adapter to fit into the local plug. The "brick" will do the rest. So for example, if you bring say a little coffee grinder to Paris and plug it in to just an adapter to grind coffee, you WILL see sparks.
The size and shape of the "brick" has no relevance. You must look at the label on the transformer or brick . If it says 110 - 240 Volts AC (or something close to that), all you need is a plug adapter. If it says 110 Volts AC (U.S. Devices), you will need a transformer that's rated at or over the Wattage rating of the brick to reduce the 220 volts at the outlet to 110 volts. 220 volts hitting a 110 volt device can produce some interesting fireworks (but only for a second or so).
syclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:54 PM   #7
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Quote:
Originally Posted by syclone View Post
The size and shape of the "brick" has no relevance.
My point was, if there *is* a brick, it's usually going to do some kind of power conversion for you. (But you have to read it for the specifics.) Usually only an adapter to fit in the right holes is needed.

Things like small appliances, blenders, coffee grinders etc. that only have a cord (no brick halfway down or brick at the plug itself) generally aren't prepared to be plugged into foreign outlets without a separate transformer.

Like I said, just a quick way of estimating to a high probability whether or not you're likely to need more than just an adapter.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:39 AM   #8
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Byzantius, have fun on your trip!!

Let us know if the PE was a good travel companion when you get back.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
Byzantius
Mobile Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Byzantius, have fun on your trip!!

Let us know if the PE was a good travel companion when you get back.
Thank you. I shall try to make the most use of the PE although I believe I'll only be using it for reading on the plane since I do have a netbook for multimedia, a mobile phone for communication, a PSP for solid gaming, and a decent digital camera.

Last edited by Byzantius; 07-28-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #10
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Thank you. I shall try to make the most use of the PE although I believe I'll only be using it for reading on the plane since I do have a netbook for multimedia, a mobile phone for communication, a PSP for solid gaming, and a decent digital camera.
If you get down my way - French/Spanish border med side - send a pm if you would like to meet up.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:38 PM   #11
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Thank you. I shall try to make the most use of the PE although I believe I'll only be using it for reading on the plane ...
Then it's a wrong device- I don't know where are you flying from - but it won't hold enough charge for 10 -12 hours flight. I'm taking Kobo for that.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #12
Byzantius
Mobile Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
If you get down my way - French/Spanish border med side - send a pm if you would like to meet up.
I'm actually heading to my native Romania this year. Maybe we can meet up someday as I am considering teaching over in Western Europe as soon as I finish my degree here in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post
Then it's a wrong device- I don't know where are you flying from - but it won't hold enough charge for 10 -12 hours flight. I'm taking Kobo for that.
Flying Boston-London-Bucharest which is about 12 hours total but I do have a long layover in London (6-hours). . The PE should hold me over for the transatlantic until I get to an outlet. However, I do have other things to do just-in-case (PSP)!
Old 07-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #13
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
My PE has lasted much more than 10 hours just using the e-ink...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:51 AM   #14
Byzantius
Mobile Tech

Plane leaves tomorrow. Let's put this bad boy to the travel test!