Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-27-2016, 05:19 PM   #1
jselby
Zealot
jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage | Samsug GT4
Any experience with refurbished kindles?

I'm planning to buy a Kindle Voyage, and I have been considering going with a refurbished one to save some money. I see some listed right now for $152.

I was hoping to get some feedback from those of you who have purchased refurbished devices from Amazon. What was your experience? Good? Bad? Ugly? Are there any caveats I might not be aware of?
jselby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:51 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I've bought 2 or 3 (I forget which) refurbished Kindles and all have been like new. I got Amazon's Certified Refurbished ones that come with the same warranty as a new one. They were all perfect. All are still being used by me or my friends.

If it wasn't one of Amazon's Certified Refurbished models I'd be pretty careful. A lot of the refurbished ones are just used and nothing more. You can probably still get good deals but you want to be careful and get a very big discount.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2016, 08:28 PM   #3
JazzyJeff
Enthusiast
JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I bought a refurbished Kindle 4 years ago and it is still working great. It has had a lot of use.
JazzyJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:41 PM   #4
jselby
Zealot
jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
If it wasn't one of Amazon's Certified Refurbished models I'd be pretty careful. A lot of the refurbished ones are just used and nothing more. You can probably still get good deals but you want to be careful and get a very big discount.

Barry
Yeah the listing I'm looking at says "Certified Refurbished Kindle Voyage".
Old 06-28-2016, 02:25 AM   #5
septentrion
Addict
septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2014, Kindle Voyage and Kindle Oasis 2
My Voyage is a refurbished one and works great.
septentrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2016, 09:01 AM   #6
jselby
Zealot

Thanks for the feedback. I've never purchased refurbished before. My expectation was that it is basically like buying a new device, and it's good to hear that's a correct expectation. There is some more information on this page if any one else is curious about Amazon's "certified refurbished" program.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:16 AM   #7
rjcchan
Zealot
rjcchan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.rjcchan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.rjcchan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.rjcchan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.rjcchan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.rjcchan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.rjcchan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.rjcchan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.rjcchan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.rjcchan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.rjcchan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: none
That Voyage is list priced at $169 so it is probably an older model. I don't know if that matters.
rjcchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #8
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Caution: IF you are the sort who notices every little light variation or color shift, a refurbed Voyage might not be a good idea. Voyages which are returned for those reasons cannot be resold as new (I think) and would be resold as refurbed, with nothing more than a finger print polish, and perhaps a new box.

But many of us DON'T notice the light shifts or color variations. If you are that sort, than a refurbed Voyage is probably a *great* buy!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:53 PM   #9
jselby
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcchan View Post
That Voyage is list priced at $169 so it is probably an older model. I don't know if that matters.
As far as I can tell there is only one generation of Kindle Voyage ... according to this page anyway. My assumption is that $169 is the normal price for a refurbished Voyage, and they are currently on sale for $152.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Caution: IF you are the sort who notices every little light variation or color shift, a refurbed Voyage might not be a good idea. Voyages which are returned for those reasons cannot be resold as new (I think) and would be resold as refurbed, with nothing more than a finger print polish, and perhaps a new box.

But many of us DON'T notice the light shifts or color variations. If you are that sort, than a refurbed Voyage is probably a *great* buy!
I've seen posts regarding that, and I did consider it. I've never seen pictures of what people are talking about, though. I've only read descriptions of what people see. Are there any threads you can point me to that have some example photos?
Old 06-28-2016, 04:26 PM   #10
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Well, here's a similar thread, about the lighting issues on some Oasis kindles. The Voyage thread would be similar, but older; I didn't look far enough to find photos.

If you click on the images in this thread (so they get larger) and don't think the differences shown are enough to bother you, then you probably wouldn't be bothered. But of course some kindles have more and some have less, of these issues.

In that thread, post 1 has pictures ... post 38 has different pictures .... post 49 has other pictures .... (that's as far as I went, just now). Post 49 is comparing an Oasis and a Voyage. The Voyage (on the right) has lights across the bottom, so any affect from them is closer to the bottom of the reading page. The Oasis has lights vertically, so you would see the affect (the change) with each line that you read, from left to right. Thus a Voyage might be easier to ignore the changes, even if you see them. (I have a Voyage, and like it. I don't notice these effects.)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:39 PM   #11
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Early Voyage had lighting problems then they fixed that. So be careful where you buy. Make sure it from Amazon....
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:04 AM   #12
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Those of you who bought a refurbished Kindle, what kind of packaging or marking that would indicate that it was a refurbished unit instead of a brand new one?
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:19 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
Those of you who bought a refurbished Kindle, what kind of packaging or marking that would indicate that it was a refurbished unit instead of a brand new one?
It usually has an "R" stamped on the box. As others have said, though, there's absolutely nothing whatsoever to be concerned about in buying a refurbished device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:14 AM   #14
jselby
Zealot

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I pulled the trigger last night on a a refurbished Voyage and an open box deal for the LE leather origami cover. I got the cover for about $55... it looks like I was just under the wire as they are now listed for $75.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:24 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Good for you. Enjoy it!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote