Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2024, 03:14 PM   #2221
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
thank you, that is what I did - sadly it did not work :-(
I tried removing and adding the book again, several times in various combinations with installing/uninstalling old Kindle for Mac versions, but sadly it did not work.

Only thing, I could not find Kind for Mac version 1.25.2, though maybe it does not matter?

Just in case it is relevant, my MacBook is running Sonoma 14.5
I haven't tried Method B for a long time and no longer have older K4Macs installed to test, so it's possible Method B no longer works on K4Mac.

That said, did you open Terminal to apply chmod -x or sudo chmod -x?
Old 05-26-2024, 04:37 PM   #2222
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I haven't tried Method B for a long time and no longer have older K4Macs installed to test, so it's possible Method B no longer works on K4Mac.

That said, did you open Terminal to apply chmod -x or sudo chmod -x?
yes I did that - had to go for the sudo version, and as noted elsewhere I also got the instability in the app, from which I take it that I did it correctly, but alas no joy, nothing other than the kcr and mbpV2 files are downloaded.

It looks like my book is going to be stuck in its cage :-(

Thanks for your help nonetheless!
Old 05-26-2024, 04:54 PM   #2223
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
yes I did that - had to go for the sudo version, and as noted elsewhere I also got the instability in the app, from which I take it that I did it correctly, but alas no joy, nothing other than the kcr and mbpV2 files are downloaded.

Thanks for your help nonetheless!
I successfully download using Kindle for Mac 1.29.0 (58033) using the right-click download option. (At least, for books not published very recently.) I downloaded one this way yesterday.
Old 05-26-2024, 04:57 PM   #2224
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
It might help to know which book you are working on in case there is something unusual about it.
Old 05-26-2024, 06:03 PM   #2225
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It might help to know which book you are working on in case there is something unusual about it.
sure, I should have said it in the first place, this is it:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the pages do look all like each is a pdf.
Old 05-26-2024, 06:47 PM   #2226
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For what it may be worth, on a Windows box with K4PC 2.30, the sample of the ebook downloaded and imported into calibre. Oddly, it downloaded to K4PC as azw3/KF8 not KFX format. KindleUnpacking it, every page is an 1358x1920 image with no text.

Last edited by DNSB; 05-26-2024 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-27-2024, 01:29 AM   #2227
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
... If someone wants to start a new thread and summarize the things that are still relevant today that would be great ...
I took at stab at starting a new thread in hopes of creating a new central place for discussion and investigation going forward for people who want to use Kindle ebooks with calibre: Dealing with Kindle ebooks in calibre. It is my hope that it can be made a Sticky.
Old 05-27-2024, 02:35 AM   #2228
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I successfully download using Kindle for Mac 1.29.0 (58033) using the right-click download option. (At least, for books not published very recently.) I downloaded one this way yesterday.
thanks so much Paul - I've again uninstalled the umpteenth version of kindle and reinstalled 1.29.0 (58033).

Ran "sudo chmod -x /Applications/Kindle.app/Contents/MacOS/renderer-test" in a terminal window before launching the app.

Launched the app and downloaded with right click.

Unfortunately, no change

Thanks anyway for trying!
Old 05-27-2024, 02:39 AM   #2229
paola
Wizard

Quote:
I took at stab at starting a new thread in hopes of creating a new central place for discussion and investigation going forward for people who want to use Kindle ebooks with calibre: Dealing with Kindle ebooks in calibre. It is my hope that it can be made a Sticky.
thank you!
Old 05-27-2024, 02:46 AM   #2230
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
To avoid that thread becoming a duplicate of this one, I have closed it and stickied it.

I suggest adding a link to this thread for questions/discussions, while that thread remains a single post summarising the latest info distilled from this thread. Assuming you're willing to maintain it.
Old 05-27-2024, 05:36 AM   #2231
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
To avoid that thread becoming a duplicate of this one, I have closed it and stickied it.

I suggest adding a link to this thread for questions/discussions, while that thread remains a single post summarising the latest info distilled from this thread. Assuming you're willing to maintain it.
Preventing active discussion in the new thread kind of defeats the purpose of the new thread to me.

The reason I started the new thread is because jhowell wrote:

Quote:
... I agree that this thread has run its course and should be made un-sticky at this point.
followed by:

Quote:
... If someone wants to start a new thread and summarize the things that are still relevant today that would be great ...
If active discussion is going to continue in this thread, I think this thread should be re-Stickied and I will delete the new thread.

Respectfully,

~oda

ETA: I just discovered that with the new thread closed, I cannot edit it. So the question of my continuing to maintain the single post is moot. If I can't edit it, it's impossible for me to update and maintain it.

Seriously, if the new thread is going to be closed and active discussion continue in this thread, I think the new thread should be deleted and this old thread re-Stickied.

Last edited by odamizu; 05-27-2024 at 05:47 AM.
Old 05-27-2024, 05:56 AM   #2232
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Preventing active discussion in the new thread kind of defeats the purpose of the new thread to me.

The reason I started the new thread is because jhowell wrote:

followed by:

If active discussion is going to continue in this thread, I think this thread should be re-Stickied and I will delete the new thread.

Respectfully,

~oda

ETA: I just discovered that with the new thread closed, I cannot edit it. So the question of my continuing to maintain the single post is moot. If I can't edit it, it's impossible for me to update and maintain it.

Seriously, if the new thread is going to be closed and active discussion continue in this thread, I think the new thread should be deleted and this old thread re-Stickied.
Hmm... In that case, I'll re-open the new thread and close this one.
Old 05-27-2024, 05:58 AM   #2233
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Moderator Notice
Thread closed.

Please continue in new thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=361503
Closed Thread

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc