View Single Post
Old 04-28-2021, 07:57 AM   #66
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
There are several nonfiction Mark Twain books that have been on my TBR for a long time such as Life on the Mississippi, Roughing It and The Innocents Abroad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Whenever I see "nonfiction Mark Twain" I always think of his "it's funny 'cos it's true" piece on the German language
I’ve read Life on the Mississippi and The Innocents Abroad fairly recently. Life was wonderful; Innocents was more rollicking good fun and nothing wrong with that.

Uncle Robin’s post reminds me that perhaps my favorite Twain of all is the posthumous collection of essays, Letters from the Earth on topics of religion and morality, which is sidesplitting, at least in my memory. I do think perhaps he’s at his best in this type of essay; the incisesiveness can be hard to sustain over the course of a book and both longer nonfiction works that I mentioned above have their slow spots.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote