Thread: Classics East Lynne by Ellen Wood
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2021, 04:49 PM   #26
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Yes, distinctly heavy-handed. I feel like I'm reading a less well written Georgette Heyer Regency.
As I was reading, I kept trying to notice/figure out what made this book resonate so much with the general reading public - and for so many years, and in additional media (stage, film).

I would be interested in seeing your thoughts on this as you progress through the book. Early comments in this thread (including mine) have focused on criticism of the writing style and content ... but this book was a smash best-seller and fueled rep theater over decades. What do you think hooked the public in 1861, and kept folks coming back over and over - up to the film versions in 1931 and 1982?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote