View Single Post
Old 10-13-2023, 09:44 AM   #18
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
If you have EDL working, the most bomb-proof backup is to use EDL to take a raw copy of your entire flash memory. Yes, this is big and slow if you have 64 or 128 GB. It also is very ungainly if you want some portion of the backup after you have saved it as one lump. It may not even restore to a replacement device (because of key generation for userdata encryption). But restored on the exact same device it will take you back to exactly where you were.

I've done this on my Poke3 a few times. I save a new backup, restore an old backup, hit "Last read" and it pops to the page in the book where I was a few months back. I restore the new backup, hit "Last read" and it's right back on my current book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muser View Post
How can i update after rooting it?
Ah, that's a different question.
Onyx has mostly been using full updates so it does not presume what you have on your device, besides checking that you are not rolling back to an earlier version. If your update is over 1 GB it probably is a full update. If it is smaller it could be an incremental update that will keep some parts of the old version. If you have modified things behind Onyx's back there may be collisions. For the simple Magisk case, usually the entire boot image is replaced anyway so you only have to deal with your device being unrooted.

For rolling back versions you will need to modify updater-script in the update.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote