View Single Post
Old 09-13-2022, 08:24 AM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post

Oh, geez, don't get me started on The Silmarillion. WTF was that about. It was one of the rare books that I just closed, marked as 1 star and placed the dreaded "Never Read Again" tag on the book. The first couple of chapters and I had already been introduced to 500 odd characters. It was written "bible-like" and sounded like one long recital of a family tree. Boron, son of Gloin, father of John, cousin of Terry, Uncle of George, blah, blah, blah. And people go crazy for this book???
I have very mixed feelings about posthumous books. Not those that are ready for publication or nearly so, but the ones that are cobbled together from the leavings. Absolutely there’s a legitimate academic interest in an important author’s ephemera and I also get that a fan might want to read everything. But as it’s frequently packaged, the reality is that it’s just a cash grab on the part of the heirs and if an author didn’t publish it in his lifetime, it’s because he didn’t think it publication-worthy, so in a sense his legacy is tarnished against his will. Hemingway is another example.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote