Thread: Accessories Homemade Kindle DX Cover
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
clarter
clarter is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
Homemade Kindle DX Cover

So I got my DX just a few days after it came out and was looking for a cover. Every one of them looks like an executive portfolio cover. Not one has any real style (Unless you count Executive Portfolio as a style).

So I decided to make my own.

Also see the attached photos.

Looking around I found an old Dungeons and Dragons manual (Yeah I'm one of those guys) begging to to be cut up and re-purposed. The size was perfect so I ripped out the pages to get the book boards from it.

I re-covered the boards with a handmade mulberry paper from a scrapbook store, and used a fabric ribbon to make the spine.

The interior is made from black craft foam.
I lined the front and back covers with thin pieces of craft foam.
For the surrounding body I used two thicker pieces (each about 1/4 inch thick) and glued them together. Then when dry I cut it to fit the Kindle DX with a craft knife. Then glued that to the craft foam on the back cover.

Once that was dry I cut it down to allow access to the USB/Charging port and the headphone jack and power switch.

This has made a very sturdy cover that is also very light weight.
The foam holds it securely, and provides protection.
Plus I get the "book" experience when I use it instead of feeling like I'm carrying around a presentation I'm about to show to a CEO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KindleCover1.jpg
Views:	916
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	31118   Click image for larger version

Name:	KindleCover2.jpg
Views:	999
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	31119   Click image for larger version

Name:	KindleCover3.jpg
Views:	1475