View Single Post
Old 02-23-2024, 12:11 PM   #25
Krytes
Enthusiast
Krytes began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
What app do you read with on your Tab Mini Cs - Neoreader?
I use NeoReader or Lithium for Chinese books, and usually MoonReader+ for English books.

NeoReader has the most customization options by far, and a long-tap on a character not only jumps directly to the definition in Pleco, it also searches intelligently by word and not just character (so long-tapping 跳 in 暴跳如雷 will take you directly to the entry for 暴跳如雷 and not for 跳 without you needing to highlight the phrase manually). The only disadvantages of NeoReader for me are that images show up rather small by default (you can long-tap to jump to the full-size image), and the 'tap to display pinyin' javascript doesn't work.
Click image for larger version

Name:	neoreader.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	206549

"Tap to display pinyin" does work on Lithium, and you can also do long-press dictionary lookup with Pleco, although not as seamlessly (it's an extra click to choose the dictionary, and if you want to look up a phrase you need to manually highlight the entire phrase). The main problem with Lithium for me is that you're restricted to a few default fonts, none of which look especially great in Chinese.

Name:	lithium.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	206550

Moon+ Reader just... fails terribly on my Chinese epubs, not respecting text colour or hiding pinyin. It's fine for English though.

Name:	moon.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	206551

Last edited by Krytes; 02-23-2024 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Add more information
Krytes is offline   Reply With Quote