View Single Post
Old 08-14-2023, 06:35 AM   #31
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I've used ISO format for years.

Unfortunately, recently I've started misreading "2020-08-12" for December 8 rather than August 12. Hence why I'm using a format with a bit less ambiguity.

This is intended for display only in the book details (not tag browser or book list) so sorting is less of an issue, as long as they appear in chronological order in the list.
The ISO format is the least ambiguous. No-one anywhere uses yyyy dd mm. If it starts with year it's always yyyy mm dd
See also
$ and cents
Hours, minutes, seconds
Degrees, minutes, seconds
Tons, Hundredweight, stones, pounds and ounces
Miles, yards, feet, inches.
Old UK Pounds Shillings and Pence.

And it was 6 years, 3 months and 2 days ago that the car was stolen (example).

Years ago I thought three letters for the month was the solution, 6 Jun 1992, but then I discovered other languages. Also neither Jun 6 1992 or 6 Jun 1992 easily sorts.

ISO picked yyyymmdd because everything works like that. Even most Right to Left Language seem to most->least (well they were using numbers before the Romans and the Greeks swapped from R>L to L>R about 750 BC!)

Weirdly for ages people used to say four and twenty, but that changed to twenty-four.

The Romans didn't do arithmetic with their mad numbers. They used a decimal abacus.

Last edited by Quoth; 08-14-2023 at 06:47 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote