View Single Post
Old 01-01-2022, 06:09 PM   #13
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
I can't remember any explanation for the red cockade -- was it there, and I overlooked it?

There's the tricolor cockade of the revolution, and the white cockade the nobility wears in the beginning. Then we saw Denise wearing a red cockade, telling a story I thought was a lie about wearing it for the person she loves. And in Nimes it seems from context that the red cockade is the symbol of the anti-revolution church faction, but I can't remember anyone talking about it?
As I recall, it was the cockade worn by Froment's followers in Nīmes, but we didn't really have any explanation for it. They supported the king, and so you would have expected them to wear a white cockade. Also I can't find any reference to it when I google it, so maybe Weyman made it up.

Given that it is the title of the book, it is curious, but perhaps Weyman uses it as a symbol of the confusion of the times, as its significance was not known beyond Nīmes.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote