View Single Post
Old 12-06-2021, 04:18 PM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
Yes, I realised during the nomination thread that "romance" is used for two different genres: The modern one (stories about a romantic relationship with a happy ending), and another, older meaning of the word, something like dramatic adventure story, maybe?
I had hoped to get lots of recommendations for modern romances, but since that didn't happen, I'm fine with the book that was chosen, even if it's not quite in the genre I had in mind.

I'm a couple of chapters in, and I like the protagonist. He's got his heart in the right place, but is far from a perfect hero: He doubts and hesitates, while doing his best to live up to his ideals. I also liked his reaction when meeting his almost-fiance: When he sees that she is small, shy, and childish, he doesn't fall madly in love, but is disappointed -- a refreshing contrast with the beginning of "East Lynne".
I am disappointed that it wasn't the romance genre you were looking for. Romance isn't a genre I normally read, so was hoping for something a little different.

It was an ingeresting read, as far as the French revolution part. Didn't seem like much of a HEA or HFN.

And thank you, hildea, for running the club this month.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote