View Single Post
Old 12-04-2021, 06:09 PM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post

I'm a couple of chapters in, and I like the protagonist. He's got his heart in the right place, but is far from a perfect hero: He doubts and hesitates, while doing his best to live up to his ideals. I also liked his reaction when meeting his almost-fiance: When he sees that she is small, shy, and childish, he doesn't fall madly in love, but is disappointed -- a refreshing contrast with the beginning of "East Lynne".
I agree with this; I like that the hero is flawed. Most human of all is not just his reluctance to cede his privileges of birth, but that they’re so ingrained in him. And yes, it’s impossible to see Denise as the participant in a grand passion, but I’ll wait and see how it plays out.

I have never seen Necker’s name spelled as it is in my edition, though; it is just a Project Gutenberg flaw (Neckar ) and the correct spelling prevails in other downloads?
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote