View Single Post
Old 12-02-2016, 09:58 PM   #4
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The voice recognition technology has certainly come a LONG way since I first tried using Dragon's Naturally Speaking software back in the early(?) 1990s. I remember having to put on a headset and sit for hours dictating into Dragon's app to get it to learn my voice, and it never really performed that well. But that was over two decades ago! Also, a tablet or smartphone is exponentially faster with more memory than the early 1990s PCs. That was an era of 80286 processors and 640 KB or RAM.

At any rate, voice recognition and AI technologies have both advanced quite a bit now, and the computers as well. We are still not to the HAL 9000 level, but that is probably a good thing...
Google is using its deep mind technology to learn to lip read. Already is more accurate than lip reading experts. The speed of the improvements that they are getting with machine learning in 5yrs-10yrs I expect them to be able to transcribe translate and maybe even voice a hundred languages. As more time passed I was thinking the world will be dominated by a few languages like English and Mandarin but now I feel in a decade the chances are we will get an internet where you can read write any language and all will understand as your browser will translate the whole thing into the language of your choice. It already does but you can tell it's a translation.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Last edited by Dopedangel; 12-02-2016 at 10:13 PM.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote