View Single Post
Old 06-01-2021, 08:49 PM   #5
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
It seems that for some this was a re-read, for me it was an opportunity to try a new author that some how I had never been aware of. The book info compared it to Alas Babylon which is an old favorite of mine so I expected to enjoy it. While I did enjoy reading it, the last half of the book fell sorta flat for me.

This past year I have felt like I was ‘time warping’ and everyday was Blursday the ?nth of whatever. Realizing the book was written in 1985, I easily time warped to take a look at my age, family status, career, employment and tech use and tech exposure prior to this post apocalyptic era to see how I might have fared personally. Also what would life in this timeline be like for my Xer children and mid/late Millennial grandkids. As we are scattered along the east coast from MA to FL, it didn’t take me long to decide that it would be more entertaining to pretend we had all moved to the west coast before the catastrophe struck.

The feminist thread did get me thinking about how things were in the late 80’s when the author was writing. Reminded me of a song that was a country/pop crossover and sometimes described as an anthem for middle aged women, ‘80’s Ladies’. Which lead me to find out that the singer/songwriter K.T. Oslin died in Dec 2020 of COVID, which lead me to discover that Helen Ready, another feminist icon, died in Sep 2020.
Her big hit in the late 70’s was “I Am Woman”. Not to be confused with Peggy Lee’s “I’m a Woman" which was the inspiration for the Enjoli commercia ls of the late 70s - early 80s…mixed feelings among feminist on these.

TLDR
I liked the book. Enjoyed the read would. Will tag it my library as post apocalyptic not sci-fi.
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote