View Single Post
Old 05-31-2021, 08:52 PM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
It's almost two decades since I last read this, but I remember it well enough, which is probably a positive review in itself. I thought it was good, although not so good as to have tempted me back for a re-read since then. I found it to be a quintessentially American story, and fairly typical of the American post-apocalyptic genre. Well written with an interesting premise but unsurprising.

It is literally and figuratively much smaller than some of its epic brethren: The Stand, Lucifer's Hammer, Swan Song etc. Those large books are written as epics and stand very well that way (if you like that sort of thing) whereas The Postman deliberately kept itself quite small scale and I think it works well for the story it told. It was never going to challenge something like The Stand in my estimation, if only because Brin's characters never quite manage to seem so real as King's.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote