View Single Post
Old 04-26-2024, 07:37 PM   #1
Ken_Moorhead
Ken_Moorhead began at the beginning.

Device: Apple Books
Crazy eReader question

Hello all,

I've written myself a book and it has survived it first round of readers. Now it's off to it's second round of readers.

To facilitate this for those who asked I have made an epub2.0 file (several actually) and have gotten it the point where it behaves on everything it has so far been thrown at. I'm getting the hang of it, slowly!

The final ebook itself is ready, so this post is more for my own curiosity than anything else.

The question I have is more technical than practical. I am proficient at computer code, in fact it is my day job, but I am not an HTML guy. That proficiency is probably a bad thing, since it has me wondering. ePub is just HTML, or variant of HTML. This would make e-readers browsers of some sort, and as such they should, in theory, be able to do browser things. And one thing a browser can do is report environmental conditions.

With that information you could (in theory) branch which HTML files are in play, or even (possibly) branch the markup itself, to adapt to user settings or device settings.

Is this possible?

My gut says no, but it seemed within possibility, so I thought I'd ask.

TIA!
Ken
Ken_Moorhead is offline   Reply With Quote